Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Universal O2 Sensor on a 95 Legacy

My 95 Legacy started showing a CEL. I checked the code and its saying the front O2 sensor has a bad heater circuit (P0141). The car has 210,000 miles on it, so I can't complain that it took this long for it to fail. Only thing is I'd rather not spend $100 for a plug in replacement if the universal ones you attach to your original connector will work. My father had a bad experiance with one on a Volvo, but I think that was mainly because it was a Volvo.

Has anybody used a universal (probably Bosch) and had any trouble?

Thanks,

Keith

I have gone the universal 02 sensor replacement on an Audi and a Jeep only to regret it. The sensor part prolly worked okay, but for the life of me, I could never get a good solder job and shrink tubing over the solder joints to last very long. I would wrap electrical tape over the shrink tubing, but within a year, the CEL would come on. Then it is a guess as to which wire at the solder joint is shorting out. I vowed at my last screw up replacement (on the Jeep) to never use a universal 02 again. It wasn't worth the aggravation of trying to save $20 to $25.

Installed a Walker O2 Sensor on my '95 no problem. It only took an extra 10 minutes or so using the crimp connectors to attach to the existing plug-in. I think it's been about a year now and no worries.

Steve

Also used a universal 02 front and rear. With a good solder job I have had no problems with 65,000 miles since and now have 201000 miles on 95 legacy.

Monk50