Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I go for this? UPDATE: I went for it!!!

I looked at it the other night and thought the same Jordan. You can't go wrong with an Impreza. Plus side is that it is easier to find parts for. I talked myself out of one at the Harriman dealership a few days ago,'99 2 door Impreza L 5 Speed, $4200, gonna hold out for a 2.5RS. I say go for it, and swing through and show it to me when you go and get it. I would be skeptical about the two different tires on it though.

Subaru is NOT Honda. EVER.

I'm talking with him on the phone now... he's willing to drive here as long as I drive him back. It's 2wd but that's a plus being that gas is $3.00 a gallon. AND I could actually get around to the EJ22 swap and 4wd swap on my sedan assuming it's reliable and in good shape which it definitely sounds like it is... he seems honest and really needs the money. Going to school and was promised a job but didn't get hired because the boss hired somebody else (possibly a friend?).

I will keep you guys posted as the events unfold.

Well looks like I'm buying it. He took some pics of the wheel wells and undercarriage (car is from Kansas) and there is a little rust around the wheel wells but nothing serious underneath. He's on the same schedule as me so he's coming to deliver it tonight and I'll drive him back and be in bed by morning to go to work later tomorrow evening.

Looks like I commited blasphemy, but let me explain. Keep in mind that I have never owned a Honda and have not owned anything besides Subaru's for past 16 years.

Of course Subaru makes a great, reliable and safe vehicle whether it is 4WD/AWD or 2WD. However, it is the 4WD/AWD that really sets the subaru apart from any other manufacturer.

Now, for as much of a Subaru fan that I am , I do happen to think that Honda builds a more reliable and economical vehicle. And if you do not want to take advantage of the 4WD/AWD system, then you would be better off cost and reliability-wise with a Honda.

That's my answer and I am sticking to it:popcorn:

I

I

You're gunna end up with the :popcorn: somewhere else! HAH, just kidding.

Have you ever worked on a Honda? Let me tell you that after working on Subarus for years (a whole 5 of them :lol:), I had to do some work on my GFs Honda, I wanted to shoot myself. The oil filter is on the BACK of the engine, closest to the firewall, above the exhaust. WTF. Then the thermostat can't be in the front of the engine, it's gotta be in the back too, almost completely underneath the intake.

As for the original post: good find. are you going to use it as an EJ swap sooner or later?

Now, for as much of a Subaru fan that I am , I do happen to think that Honda builds a more reliable and economical vehicle. And if you do not want to take advantage of the 4WD/AWD system, then you would be better off cost and reliability-wise with a Honda.

That is the usual opinion of someone that is "vehicularly infantile". You have also yet to learn that blanket statements will get you in trouble.

The problems with your argument are:

1. You can't compare anything Honda has made to anything Subaru has made since 1996. That's was the last year for 2WD Subaru's.

2. You fail to realize that BOTH Honda and Subaru have produced crap at one time or another. Sometimes simultaneously. Comparing a genuine Honda POS to a Subaru POS won't get you far - won't work the other way either.

3. You clearly haven't learned that brand loyalty is just plain dumb. It's all about picking the right model, made at the right plant, on the right day of the week, and previously owned by someone that cares (should it be used). It's got nothing to do with the brand, and everything to do with the model and year. There are just as many crap Honda's as there are crap Subaru's.

4. Honda and Subaru target different markets. Honda makes very few wagon's for instance. They also churn out gargantuan quantities of cookie-cutter cars for the masses.

5. Even if it were... say.... 50% more reliable. I wouldn't own one because I do my own work. Even doing 50% more repairs, I'll spend less time, and throw fewer tools because Subaru's are NOT transverse. I absolutely abhor the transverse design - most jobs take more than 50% longer to do. So even if I have to do 10 jobs per year instead of 15 - at an average of 30 minutes each for a Subaru or an hour each for a Honda - I still have saved a net of 2.5 hours labor (7.5 for Subaru, 10 for Honda). And this is by no means typical of only Honda - that goes for any transverse design except for VW - add 200% additional in the number of jobs per year column for them :mad:

6. Because of the transverse design, Honda's are not symetrical with their 2WD. Subaru's are. Thus Subaru's 2WD system is superior from a weight and power distribution standpoint.

My years of experience with automotive in general keeps me on the Subaru side of this argument. Please - present your facts so I can shoot them down.

GD

There are just as many crap Honda's as there are crap Subaru's.

GD

I hope not, I think Honda produces more cars than Subaru does. If there are the same amount of crapass Hondas as crapass Subarus, that means a higher ratio of Subarus are crapass.

But, I know what you meant, (ratio wise) I figured I'd just add a pointless comment to a post that has gone way off point of the OP.

Johnson']But' date=' I know what you meant, (ratio wise) I figured I'd just add a pointless comment to a post that has gone way off point of the OP.[/quote']

Yeah - I was talking models for models - not production numbers. I would say that production number wise, Honda has way more crap cars on the road. When was the last time you saw an early 80's Honda still running? And they sold a buttload of those CVCC's back in the day. Way more than they ever sold of Subaru's - yet they have almost no following, and they are nearly extinct.

GD

Yeah - I was talking models for models - not production numbers. I would say that production number wise, Honda has way more crap cars on the road. When was the last time you saw an early 80's Honda still running? And they sold a buttload of those CVCC's back in the day. Way more than they ever sold of Subaru's - yet they have almost no following, and they are nearly extinct.

GD

GD, way to play the devil's advocate with that last spill.

I thought about this the other day when I drove to town in the Brat. Where did they all go? Oldest thing I see from Honda is the 4th gen of Accord. Take today for instance, I seen an 84 GL Coupe getting off the interstate that was in great shape (will send you a pic to your camera phone).

My fiance drives an 04 Accord with the K series motor in it. Great motor being that it utilizes the timing chain design and gets great gas mileage. Time came the other day to change the air filter and the guy working design that day made things difficult. What happened to just a few pop clams to remove a filter cover? Gotta get an extension and socket to get the thing off and after that, there is no room to meander it out of the air box, I had to loosen the fuse box!

Jordan, change the timing belt and water pump and keep that thing on the road. Hope you have more luck than I do with used cars. Everything I buy needs an axle and wheel bearings replaced.

That is the usual opinion of someone that is "vehicularly infantile". You have also yet to learn that blanket statements will get you in trouble.

The problems with your argument are:

more of an opinion than an argument.

1. You can't compare anything Honda has made to anything Subaru has made since 1996. That's was the last year for 2WD Subaru's.

I believe the Impreza in question is a 93, isn't it?

2. You fail to realize that BOTH Honda and Subaru have produced crap at one time or another. Sometimes simultaneously. Comparing a genuine Honda POS to a Subaru POS won't get you far - won't work the other way never said one was better than the other due to poor manufacturing on the other's part, not sure your point here.

3. You clearly haven't learned that brand loyalty is just plain dumb. It's all about picking the right model, made at the right plant, on the right day of the week, and previously owned by someone that cares (should it be used). It's got nothing to do with the brand, and everything to do with the model and year. There are just as many crap Honda's as there are crap Subaru's.

How is it obvious what I have learned....didn't I make the point that in some cases Honda's may be better than Subaru? I don't think that represents blind brand loyalty.

4. Honda and Subaru target different markets. Honda makes very few wagon's for instance. They also churn out gargantuan quantities of cookie-cutter cars for the masses.I think all assembly line cars could be considered cookie cutter, why do you think Subaru went to all models with AWD?

5. Even if it were... say.... 50% more reliable. I wouldn't own one because I do my own work. Even doing 50% more repairs, I'll spend less time, and throw fewer tools because Subaru's are NOT transverse. I absolutely abhor the transverse design - most jobs take more than 50% longer to do. So even if I have to do 10 jobs per year instead of 15 - at an average of 30 minutes each for a Subaru or an hour each for a Honda - I still have saved a net of 2.5 hours labor (7.5 for Subaru, 10 for Honda). And this is by no means typical of only Honda - that goes for any transverse design except for VW - add 200% additional in the number of jobs per year column for them :mad:OK, good opinion.

6. Because of the transverse design, Honda's are not symetrical with their 2WD. Subaru's are. Thus Subaru's 2WD system is superior from a weight and power distribution standpoint. YEP

My years of experience with automotive in general keeps me on the Subaru side of this argument. Please - present your facts so I can shoot them down.

GD

:popcorn:

My mom's had her same '77 Civic CVCC hatchback for almost twenty years, 360K on the clock, and original block.

She also has a dual-carbed '84 Prelude as well. It has somewhere around 200K, was mistreated badly by the PO, but still runs, and gets her to work.

I like Honda myself. But I'll tell you this much..... I'd rather work on a Subaru any day.

As long as someone eles works on them. Hondas are a nightmare,worst than Fords which I'd eat worms before working on again. Soobs are far and away the easiest cars I've ever had the pleasure to work on. Even the worst things to get at (knock sensor, bottom driverside bellhousing bolt) are easier than most things on a Honda. There is not comparision between soobs and any other car for ease of maintance or repairs.:banana:

Thanks for staying on topic guys :rolleyes: . At least many of you made good points. Yes, this thing is definitely more sensibly put together than those damn Hondas. I've been staring at the engine for quite a while and I'm quite surprised how simple it looks, and it's quite a roomy engine bay too. And I like the vertical oil filters, easier to prime before installation.

As for the car itself... it bounces quite a bit, needs some shocks but I'm not gonna worry about that right now. The only rust on the car (it's from Houston, but originated in Kansas) is on the rear fenders and under the driver side door. Everything except for the dome light works on the interior. All gauges, knobs, cluster and heater control lights work. NICE stereo... I guess I've been listening to my 20 year old speakers too long in my GL. Front tires are brand new, 2 different rear tires. One makes alot of noise, will take care of that sooner than later. Has it's creaks and groans, but it runs REALLY well. And DAMN that's one solid roof rack, it sure is an upgrade from the EA series roof racks. Cruise control is a huge plus.

Overall I'm very happy with it so far. Paid $1100 for it, which in my opinion was too much but the guy was really cool and completely broke. I will wash/vacuum it tomorrow and take some pics.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: