Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing one tire with 5.5/32nds left

I blew out my right rear tire and need to replace. I have heard that for all wheel drive you want to replace all so they are the same size.

I did find a used tire that runs 5.5/32nds and the one I blew out is 4.5/32nds.

Any idea if this will work or am I at risk???????

1995 Legacy 2.2L w/209K miles

Thanks for your advice!

They need to be within 1/4" in diameter. Barring that, you could put the FWD fuse in & go for the replacement you found.

Just remember, that if you use AWD with a mismatch you WILL foul up the center clutch pack eventually.

I'm not sure if a manual is as picky as an auto though.

They need to be within 1/4" in diameter. Barring that, you could put the FWD fuse in & go for the replacement you found.

Just remember, that if you use AWD with a mismatch you WILL foul up the center clutch pack eventually.

1/4-inch in circumference?

Dave

That depends on the tire. Different tires with the same size stamped on them, can be different circumference. You need to break out a tape measure and pysically measure your tires, and possible donors.

Make a mark on your tire, and the ground. Roll the car exactly one revolution of the tire, then measure the distance.

Make a mark on your tire, and the ground. Roll the car exactly one revolution of the tire, then measure the distance.

That's certainly the best way to measure rolling circumference, and can be used to compare several tires, PROVIDING all tires are tested the same way.

However, if one tire is not on the car (& cannot be mounted on the car), then a tape measure must be used. In that case, the other tire must be taken off the car and measured the same way with a tape measure.

To compare circumferences to within a 1/4" (6 mm), both tires must be measured using the same method. Otherwise the differences in measuring methods can easily mask the 1/4" spread.

So is what your saying that if I change the tire I should change the fuse to FWD.

or if I do not change anything

I could end up fouling the clutch pack?

or

If I change the fuse and use excanged tire I could still end up fouling the clutch plate?

It is a manual.................

Coming from someone who has been there and learned the hard way, change all 4 tires if you can afford it, instead of risking the damage to your drivetrain. With a manual, you don't have the option of putting the FWD fuse and going with it, and I wouldn't recommend a used tire unless it was close to the exact same circumference and the same type/brand.

if the rest of your tires are at that level of wear, it sounds like it might be about time to replace them anyways.

So is what your saying that if I change the tire I should change the fuse to FWD.

It is a manual.................

Is there a fwd fuse for manuals? I looked for one on mine and couldn't find it 97 ob. Assumd that only autos have it. Both my imps and 97 leg which are autos ahve it and they weren't hart to find. Can anyone clear this up for me?:confused:

Manuals don't have the FWD fuse

all this fuse does is opening the clutch packs in the auto tranny, thus disabling the rear part of the drivetrain.

Manual trannys don't have a clutch pack, they have a centre VLSD instead.

Thank you Joo that's about what I thought. I looked everywhere for the fuse holder when I 1st got the car, then figured that manuals don't have it because it works via the hyd. press of a auto.

So am I at great risk for driving 200 miles on the replacememnt that is within 1.75/32nds then???

I can not afford new tires right now but also need to use my car.

Coming from someone who has been there and learned the hard way, change all 4 tires if you can afford it, instead of risking the damage to your drivetrain. With a manual, you don't have the option of putting the FWD fuse and going with it, and I wouldn't recommend a used tire unless it was close to the exact same circumference and the same type/brand.

if the rest of your tires are at that level of wear, it sounds like it might be about time to replace them anyways.

So am I at great risk for driving 200 miles on the replacememnt that is within 1.75/32nds then???

I can not afford new tires right now but also need to use my car.

well then can you afford a new transmission?

If you can't afford to drive your car, get something else.

I never worry about tires on my Subaru, when I need one I buy it. If I had to replace all four tires when I need one running a mail Rt. I would sell the Subaru and get something else to drive.

I had many miles on my Subaru before I ever heard this so I just kept doing it the same way. It made it to 340,000 miles before I had to change the transmission. It has got nearly 400,000 miles now and when it needs a tire I will buy a tire not four. And when I need another transmission I will have more then enough money saved to buy it because I have not wasted it all on tires.

But I will also say it is not recommended by Subaru to do it the way I do. So the ones here telling you to be careful are telling you straight. I think Subaru gives this warning like drug companies give warning on their medicine, if you worried about all of the side affects you might get you would not take any medicine.