Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New To Me '91 XT6

. . . isn't this what always happens to sube owners?! i know for a fact that one of the replies to one of my first posts was somebody saying, "we've got another one, pretty soon he'll be wheelin' and buyin' more soobs" :lol:

once again, Jeff (who randomly scours the countryside for soobs that need a loving home) "knew this guy" who had an XT6 parked behind his house . . . at first i just wanted it for the 5 lug bits. . . but this is what i found when i first went to see it . . .

th_DSC01015.jpg

th_DSC01010.jpg

th_DSC01011_edited.jpg

th_DSC01013_edited.jpg

th_DSC01009.jpg

i mean really, how could you part out such a beautiful car?! the body is so straight (and that's saying something considering it's color). the air ride has been "upgraded" to a independent (use a compressor) L and R front, and the rears are together with another air nipple (we'll see how well this works). the inside is clean, and there is no rust . . . no water inside the car, nada :cool:

it's a 5sp AWD, the "H6" is clean, the only concern is that it "occasionally doesn't build oil pressure and the valves clatter" according to its current owner. he also says 3rd gear sometimes gives alot of feedback (feel it stumble into gear)

I'm thinking those mean, 1. it needs a new oil pump 2. i need to hear it run to diagnose any noises 3. it at least needs a major maintenance (trans fluid hasn't been checked in years), maybe even a complete rebuild . . . but for less than $300 for such a clean machine who cares?!!! :eek:

(and it is my favorite non-color, with smoked tails :cool: )

anyone with experience with these who may know the weaknesses that could be causing these issues, please let me know so that i can look in the right places . . . i'll be picking this car up tuesday or wednesday . . . now i've just got to find a spot for it (the RX project is taking all my garage space :-\ )

:) << so happy

:headbang:

chris

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ER27 is an EA82 with two extra cylinders. *basically*.

Most of the parts do not interchange however, so everything for ER27's is big money. Small production numbers over very few years.

Oil pressure is somewhat concerning. The lifter design is the same as the EA82 so it could just be poor functioning lifters. PULL THE OIL PUMP and check for wear. Across all Subaru motors if the previous owners have used cheap oil filters, or not changed them enough, the oil will bypass the filter once it's clogged and junk gets sucked into the pump. Even if the pump looks good the lifter ticking demands you replace the seals anyway. If there is any doubt about the pump, replace it. Replace the sending unit regardless.

Flush the tranny with ATF, then fill it with scotty's cocktail. Should help if not cure the problems.

GD

If there is any doubt about the pump, replace it. Replace the sending unit regardless.

will do . . . immediately

Flush the tranny with ATF, then fill it with scotty's cocktail. Should help if not cure the problems.

its a 5sp, flush it with ATF?! and i'll have to do a search on "scotty's cocktail" sounds like a good name for a stiff drink :grin: GD

thanks GD

chris

I used to "own" this thing about 2 years ago. It was faster that heck. It had good oil pressure and everything. I think with a little TLC this thing will make a fine rig. Nice Score!! If I find anything else I'll be sure and point it your way Chris.:lol:

Jeff

Heh, welcome to the "black sheep" of the XT6 family :grin:

And thats a pretty clean one too.

I've had 2 black ones at the same time :rolleyes:

I still have one, my 89 4EAT. Its waiting for a engine/tranny swap. Maybe this year.

You also know that any and all the info you need is over at XT6.net.

But if you need anything or help/info, just let me know.

Heh, welcome to the "black sheep" of the XT6 family :grin:

And thats a pretty clean one too.

I've had 2 black ones at the same time :rolleyes:

I still have one, my 89 4EAT. Its waiting for a engine/tranny swap. Maybe this year.

You also know that any and all the info you need is over at XT6.net.

But if you need anything or help/info, just let me know.

thank you, as always . . .

waiting to swap to what, EJ22t?

Yes - use half ATF and half cheap gear oil for about 100 miles. Don't drive like a madman or it will be hard on the front diff.

Drain and refill with Scotty's - I use a modified Scotty's myself:

2 Quarts Redline Lightweight Shockproof

1 Quart Pennzoil Synchromesh

1 Quart Castrol Hypoy-C 80w90

The Shockproof is the "active" ingredient that will cure the clicky's and the grindy's. I swear this stuff will raise the dead when it comes to transmissions. :)

GD

Yes - use half ATF and half cheap gear oil for about 100 miles. Don't drive like a madman or it will be hard on the front diff.

Drain and refill with Scotty's - I use a modified Scotty's myself:

2 Quarts Redline Lightweight Shockproof

1 Quart Pennzoil Synchromesh

1 Quart Castrol Hypoy-C 80w90

The Shockproof is the "active" ingredient that will cure the clicky's and the grindy's. I swear this stuff will raise the dead when it comes to transmissions. :)

GD

thanks!! this should be in the USRM . . . ^^

Congrats..From experience ..they can be alittle quirlier then some...some things to also check:

Front crank pulley likes to seperate..draw a white line across it and keep an eye on ig..when it stops lining up..get it welded.

White connector to the alt gets corroded and eated away

Also the CTS..does the same thing causeing irritating issues...direct wire solves that problem 98% of the time

Clean the IAC

check the intake snorkus for cracks at the flex point.

Theres a good start for you.

Nice that you live in the rustless zone

Theres a good start for you.

Nice that you live in the rustless zone

thanks for the suggestions! i've got a good guess, but will you spell out (for the slow kid, me :slobber: ) what CTS and IAC are . . .

and when you come up to washington, you are soo welcome to take 'er for a drive, for ol' times sake . . .

chris

thanks for the suggestions! i've got a good guess, but will you spell out (for the slow kid, me :slobber: ) what CTS and IAC are . . .

and when you come up to washington, you are soo welcome to take 'er for a drive, for ol' times sake . . .

chris

CTS= Coolant Temp Sensor

IAC = Idle Air Control Valve

I belive on the XT board there is a picture of exactly where they are located..in the repair compilation thread.. I will look it up shortly and give you the link.

These are the most common issues and the fixes are even easier...but they have given many extreme headaches ( Me included)

awsome, even has pictures for us slow kids :grin:

and the offer stands, i'll have a tank of gas in it and i won't even ask where you're goin, just drive . . .

Haha, you might not ever see her again. She doesnt know the area at all, she just might decide to head East........waaaay East :-p

Haha, you might not ever see her again. She doesnt know the area at all, she just might decide to head East........waaaay East :-p

I would send him his ER27 back... I have will still have my 30K mile crate motor here.And dont forget..me Native American..we good at directions LOL

I would send him his ER27 back... I have will still have my 30K mile crate motor here.And dont forget..me Native American..we good at directions LOL

ah, but a wee bit west (of me) and all down the coast south would be such a beautiful drive . . . and then send back whats left of the car :grin: :cool:

b.t.w. whatcha want for the crate engine?

chris

ah, but a wee bit west (of me) and all down the coast south would be such a beautiful drive . . . and then send back whats left of the car :grin: :cool:

b.t.w. whatcha want for the crate engine?

chris

Not cheap..but less then I was told to sell it for..$400 OBO...Taking a couple minute break from strpping out the interior..need to get back to work ( and my Captains and Coke is out there:rolleyes:)

Not cheap..but less then I was told to sell it for..$400 OBO...Taking a couple minute break from strpping out the interior..need to get back to work ( and my Captains and Coke is out there:rolleyes:)

what'r the odds of you bringing that west with you, assuming it was bought and paid for? no worries if that's too much of a pain, i can check shipping costs too . . .

never mind . . . i suppose that wouldn't work as carry on baggage (i just realized you're probably flying, duh - remember me, the slow kid>>:slobber: )

chris

That's a particularly gorgeous XT6. Take care of it & it'll take care of you.

The oil issue is likely the oil pump mickey mouse seal (looks like mickey) Definately address the coolant sensor, and idle air valve. They are aggravating.

Definately sign up over at http://www.subaruxt.com They'll all be drooling over that beauty.

awesome, nice hit!

the internals are all EA82 stuff - pistons, rings, bearings, HLA's, rocker arms, valves, springs, all identical to EA82. outside of the engine just about everything else is different than the EA82.

the first step is to reseal the oil pump. unlike the EA82 the ER27 only has 2 parts to this - the oil pump shaft seal and the mickey mouse oil pump to engine block "gasket". they call it a gasket eventhough it's o-ring type material.

if that doesn't do it then you likely need a new oil pump.

try some gear oil concoctions in the trans for the shifting, that may help. heck, just changing the gear oil may help.

check and change the oil as often as you can. infrequent changes do bad things to the HLA's.

tons of info on the XT forums, you'll want to join there i think. good luck and see you around here and there hopefully.

That's a particularly gorgeous XT6. Take care of it & it'll take care of you.

The oil issue is likely the oil pump mickey mouse seal (looks like mickey) Definately address the coolant sensor, and idle air valve. They are aggravating.

Definately sign up over at www.subaruxt.com They'll all be drooling over that beauty.

i was about to post that,

That is a beautiful xt6, makes me miss mine just a little.

welcome to the club

picked her up yesterday :banana: :banana: :banana:

and i got it for $200 :banana: :banana: :banana: (talked him down because it needed a battery- there went $50:dead: )

>

th_DSC01422.jpg

th_DSC01421.jpg

Updates

The Good: Has sooooo much power, you can just feel that this car (i need to come up with a cool guy nickname, like Darth Evader - evading the police, get it? hahaha (?)) is just itching to get me my next speeding ticket :rolleyes:

Clutch/Gears-Good

All Power Accessories-Good

Engine Oil Pressure-Good, it just does the same thing my wagon does, it reads reasonably high pressure when 1st started, and 10 min's later, when at idle, registers just above 0. No knocking or any other foreign (for a subaru anyway) sounds.

Exhaust-Flowmastered, VERY good :slobber:

. . . too many other positive to go on and on and on . . .

The Not So Good :grin:

Needs 4 axles (MWE, here's my next paycheck . . .)

Needs 4 tires, which of course means that since its 5X100 it MUST HAVE new wheels and tires :cool:

Needs electric power steering diagnosis . . . didn't get to check it out too much, but it definitely wasn't working ("we can't turn her in time, captain!!")

Needs me to buy a higher output air compressor to get the thing off the bump stops (my back is killing me today) or complete switch over to traditional suspension, i think the latter is in order, as i love the ride height on the bumpstops, but not "aired up" look when the airsusp. is properly inflated.

oh well, let the fun begin!! :headbang: somebody just needs to buy the RX that's in my garage soon, so i have space!!!!!!!

chris