Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New To Me '91 XT6

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may get a better response on XT6, or PM grossgary here.
hello? i got the PM, so here goes from memory and 200 miles from my XT6.

that blue wire goes into the blank (unused) female wiring harness plug that is typically tucked over under the sill on that side. it's brownish...very dirty whiteish in color usually. it's a two row, multi-pin connector and that blue wire goes into one of those pins.

power steering steps:

1. check existing fluid - see if it's ATF (red) or XT6 fluid (yellow)

2. decide if you want to stick with XT6 fluid or convert to ATF (not recommended, but has been done)

3. find out why the fluid is low, probably the clamped hose at the pump, replace that and the clamps. (the other is attached via fitting and rarely needs replaced.

4. fill fluid

5. properly connect wire (just ask one of us which pin, we'll take a picture too)

6. test motor by giving it 12 volts to see if the motor spins

7. if it doesn't spin then you probably need new brushes ($20 from Subaru)

8. doubt you'll need to go any further than this.

good luck!

Chris don't take this the wrong way but, You seem to be a bit board. Maybe its time to look for a job, looks like you have to much time on your hands.:grin: It does sound good though.

Jeff

:confused: *re-reads last few dozen posts*

nah, think i'm good thanks . . . :rolleyes:

Is that Idling at 2 grand? Thats way too high. Might want to look into that. Should probably be around 1 grand or a bit less. Not sure what they should be for a xt6.

it had just been started, literally 10 seconds before that second video clip, so it hadn't had a chance to wind down yet . . .

it was pretty cool actually, as i was standing there in amazement at how well kept and clean everything was :slobber: , it idled itself down, just like it was supposed to . . . like it hadn't been sitting for the last year- blew me away :eek::banana:

I was just down at my Mom and Dad's place and it was sitting there. That thing does look sweet. The guy that got my car was wanting yours, I kept telling him that it's not mine. You got a good deal even if you need those axles. I like it.:) I wish mine was a 6. Oh well We'll still have to race but I think I know who will win............you hands down.:grin:

Jeff

You got a good deal even if you need those axles. I like it.:) Jeff

i think i might get off easy with the axles even, check this out (if it hasn't been posted here already, it should be!)

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8956

boot kits (the good ones) are pretty inexpensive . . . then again you're only talking a bit more to buy the MWE axles, but at least this way you don't have to mess with the core and shipping charges . . .

i'll give the bearings/races a good look to see how rough they are, and then decide . . . :)

An Update . . . :)

Picked up the XT6 last week and brought it home. The drive home was fairly uneventful (thank goodness) except for the on-again off-again vibration in the steering wheel caused no doubt by the bad axles at each corner. Aside from that, no noises, i was able to get the suspension up enough to make the ride comfortable, and i got to have a little fun with its torque :burnout:

As of today, she's up on stands (all wheels removed) so that tomorrow i can begin pulling axles (pre soaking pins with penetrating liquid overnight). i've got all 8 boots coming (b.t.w. rockauto is closing out some beck arnley boot kits for cheeeeep!), a new set of 17" wheels coming :banana: :banana: and i purchased just about all the interior/exterior parts she needed.

i do have a coupla questions though, any help would be greatly appreciated . . .

1) i seem to have a long time and decent volume fluid seep/leak on the drivers side of the lower engine. i can't tell if it's oil (and if so, from where) or power steering fluid, or other (?) my best guess is to look at the farthest point forward on the engine that has fluid slicks and gunk buildup as the main culprit . . . in this case, there seems to be a lot of oil leaking from the timing belt cover area around the oil pump. when an oil pump needs to be resealed/replaced, where does it usually leak from? there's also a lot of gunk buildup around where the steering column goes into the steering rack, is this a usual area of leaking, or is it just "blow-back" from the oil pump area? the drivers side boot on the steering rack seems to be particularly encrusted, is that a clue?

2) is the blue wire for the recall supposed to be plugged into the wiring harness near the drivers front strut? i've heard yes and no, and at the wrecking yard, i've seen it plugged in . . . :confused: (maybe thats how it ended up there :dead::lol: )

3) i want to get hub-centric rings for the new wheels i purchased, i measured the hub hole's outside diameter at 60mm, is that correct?

4) is the exhaust "y-pipe" on the xt6 as notorious when it comes to re-attaching it as the other EA82 types are? should i avoid removing it because of stud issues or exhaust leak issues?

5) is this the cooolest car ever or what?!!!! :banana::grin::headbang:

thanks

chris

It sounds like the front seal is leaking. I would probably do a complete service on the front if it was me. New timing belts and tenshioners, re-seal the oil pump, new cam shaft seals/o-rings. Check the valve covers and oil pan for leaks.

The gunk on the steering column base is most likely from a bad axle boot.

If I can remember tomorrow, I will stop by my XT6 and look at the blue wire and make sure which terminal is goes into.

Dont know the hub size, so I cant help you there.

The y-pipe can be a beotch. Dual port for twice the fun! PB Blaster the studs first of course. Never had any leaks myself tho.

And yes, they are cool cars :headbang:

An Update . . . :)

Picked up the XT6 last week and brought it home. The drive home was fairly uneventful (thank goodness) except for the on-again off-again vibration in the steering wheel caused no doubt by the bad axles at each corner. Aside from that, no noises, i was able to get the suspension up enough to make the ride comfortable, and i got to have a little fun with its torque :burnout:

As of today, she's up on stands (all wheels removed) so that tomorrow i can begin pulling axles (pre soaking pins with penetrating liquid overnight). i've got all 8 boots coming (b.t.w. rockauto is closing out some beck arnley boot kits for cheeeeep!), a new set of 17" wheels coming :banana: :banana: and i purchased just about all the interior/exterior parts she needed.

i do have a coupla questions though, any help would be greatly appreciated . . .

1) i seem to have a long time and decent volume fluid seep/leak on the drivers side of the lower engine. i can't tell if it's oil (and if so, from where) or power steering fluid, or other (?) my best guess is to look at the farthest point forward on the engine that has fluid slicks and gunk buildup as the main culprit . . . in this case, there seems to be a lot of oil leaking from the timing belt cover area around the oil pump. when an oil pump needs to be resealed/replaced, where does it usually leak from? there's also a lot of gunk buildup around where the steering column goes into the steering rack, is this a usual area of leaking, or is it just "blow-back" from the oil pump area? the drivers side boot on the steering rack seems to be particularly encrusted, is that a clue?

2) is the blue wire for the recall supposed to be plugged into the wiring harness near the drivers front strut? i've heard yes and no, and at the wrecking yard, i've seen it plugged in . . . :confused: (maybe thats how it ended up there :dead::lol: )

3) i want to get hub-centric rings for the new wheels i purchased, i measured the hub hole's outside diameter at 60mm, is that correct?

4) is the exhaust "y-pipe" on the xt6 as notorious when it comes to re-attaching it as the other EA82 types are? should i avoid removing it because of stud issues or exhaust leak issues?

5) is this the cooolest car ever or what?!!!! :banana::grin::headbang:

thanks

chris

I GOT MY WHEELS TODAY :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

test fitted 'em and everythings a go! now to order tires . . .

clickey pics:

th_DSC01460crp.jpg

th_DSC01466Large.jpg

th_DSC01465Large.jpg

these are ADR Flight 5's 17x7 w/a +42 offset (so they come flush to the side of the car :headbang: )

Got 'em new on fleabay for $200 and shipping :grin: (thats a total, not each :rolleyes: )

mini update: axles are out of the car, should be getting boot kits today or tomorrow. going to go stalk the pull-a-part for a pair of EA82 4wd rear struts and a pair of front leggo/impreza struts . . . need to find a good deal on hub centering rings from 56.1 to 73.1 if anybody knows a good place for those . . .

i love this car :cool:

chris