Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New To Me '91 XT6

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dead:

did i mention i'm colorblind? when i bought my XT6 the seller told me it was green . . . turns out it's black- whatcha gonna do?

:grin:

chris

:cool: << just call me Ray (Charles) :lol:

Was the seller color blind too? :lol::lol: When i bought my car the guy called it tan. Anyone who has seen it knows its gold.

Jeff- yjou no breakey de truck today eh? eh, issa hokay, maybe tomorrow, yes?

:headbang:

chris

Maybe :-\ only if it rains, do I get the day off, If I do work, I have to haul 100 tons (no joke) of 1 1/4" minus into a parking lot. Oh and the truck I drive has no radio. :banana::rolleyes:

Jeff

ok, a question to everybody . . .

i've got all four axles out of the car, and have rebuilt at least one end of each of them (the inside one on all of them was bad, interesting . . .:confused: ) i completely disassembled the exposed joints, cleaned them, and the flipped them to the "non torque" side as per a thread on subaruxt.com, also flipped the inside of the joint assembly (the cog looking piece that the driveline slides into) so that it will no longer be using the side/edge that had obvious signs of wear.

question is, do i go ahead and rebuild the "non torn boot" side of each axle while it's out and i have the parts available? the non torn boots look fine, no cracks, not brittle but just a little dry on the outside. they could be the originals though (i don't see any branding or tool marks to tell me otherwise) so should i go ahead and remove the boot and clean up/re-grease and put a new boot on the functional ends?

thanks in advance

chris

Personally..since you have them out and the parts are available..why not just rebuild them..better safe then sorry..I would think that now that the inner is strong and healthy..the weakest link would be the outter older parts. Would hate to see you a month or 2 down the road have to pull them back out cause the outters went..Just my 2cents ..and we all know thats worth nothing:grin:;)

Personally..since you have them out and the parts are available..why not just rebuild them..better safe then sorry..I would think that now that the inner is strong and healthy..the weakest link would be the outter older parts. Would hate to see you a month or 2 down the road have to pull them back out cause the outters went..Just my 2cents ..and we all know thats worth nothing:grin:;)

couldn't be farther from the truth . . . its worth at least 2 cents :grin:

and if it happens to be canadian, it's worth like 3.5 cents :lol:

chris

if cost and time aren't an issue and you plan on keeping the car awhile, then tear it up.

if you're still debating then i'd go with age and useage of the car. if the car was being driven prior to you having and the boots look decent like you said they will probably last.

if the car was sitting for awhile and not being driven...replace them. they probably won't last long.

ok, a question to everybody . . .

i've got all four axles out of the car, and have rebuilt at least one end of each of them (the inside one on all of them was bad, interesting . . .:confused: ) i completely disassembled the exposed joints, cleaned them, and the flipped them to the "non torque" side as per a thread on subaruxt.com, also flipped the inside of the joint assembly (the cog looking piece that the driveline slides into) so that it will no longer be using the side/edge that had obvious signs of wear.

That is not rebuilding. It's cleaning and regreasing. Often the best and cheapest option for axles.

Flipping the cage and race(cog looking piece)???? I don't know where you read that, but I'm pretty sure that's a BAAAAD idea. IIRC The cage is Asymetrical. I KNOW the race is. There is one and only one direction that those parts are supposed to be installed.

I am not sure what the results of flipping those parts will be. I have a feeling it will limit the angle of the inner joint flex. You could end up hyperextending an axle, or worse. Cracking the DOJ cup???