Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New To Me '91 XT6

Hope thats what he meant :-p

kindof, i am "swapping sides" as well, and obiously the cage is meant to go in only one way (its very tapered on one end) but the inner race (cog looking piece :) ) measures out with a caliper to be symmetrical, and if you install it opposite end in from how you took it off, its obvious that the ball bearings dont sit in the same spot they've been wearing down for the last 17 years . . . i figure that can only be a good thing, no?

i've got them in the "torn apart and cleaned" stage, so doing the inside won't require removing the outside again. i figure, ask questions twice, assemble once!!! :clap:

chris

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kindof, i am "swapping sides" as well, and obiously the cage is meant to go in only one way (its very tapered on one end) but the inner race (cog looking piece :) ) measures out with a caliper to be symmetrical, and if you install it opposite end in from how you took it off, its obvious that the ball bearings dont sit in the same spot they've been wearing down for the last 17 years . . . i figure that can only be a good thing, no?

i've got them in the "torn apart and cleaned" stage, so doing the inside won't require removing the outside again. i figure, ask questions twice, assemble once!!! :clap:

chris

No, look at the sides. One side has a notch. If you flip it, it won't go far enough onto the shaft, and the spring clip won't seat. I'm pretty sure it will only assemble one way.

Switching them from one side to the other sounds fine.

No, look at the sides. One side has a notch. If you flip it, the spring clip won't seat. I'm pretty sure it will only assemble one way.

Switching them from one side to the other sounds fine.

okay, will double check before reassembly, i'm sure you are right . . .

b.t.w., in case someone hasn't done so recently, thank you very much to all of you who take time out of your day/night to assist with questions and problems here on the board. i've seen a lot of "?" threads lately, and i've tried to help when i can, but there are definitely those of you out there who have a greater knowledge, thank you very much for sharing it. :headbang:

chris

okay, will double check before reassembly, i'm sure you are right . . .

b.t.w., in case someone hasn't done so recently, thank you very much to all of you who take time out of your day/night to assist with questions and problems here on the board. i've seen a lot of "?" threads lately, and i've tried to help when i can, but there are definitely those of you out there who have a greater knowledge, thank you very much for sharing it. :headbang:

chris

It helps when the questions are asked in a intelligent manner.

And we know you use the search function first ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Big day for Project "Back in Black" (used to have black fastguy car, now i've got another one!!) :rolleyes:

She's basically been on jack stands since i got her home (almost a month ago :dead: ) so i could easily access all the important stuff that needs to be addressed when you get an old car

(so far i've replaced all fluids, R&R'd all 4 axles, removed rear air struts- aftermarkets that weren't put on very well- flipped the rear strut mounts for that extra -1" and re-assembled with new bushings, re-installed the complete rear interior that the previous owner removed, replaced the center tail-light section, and had new big tread all season tires put on the OEM wheels- i'll be putting on the cool guy wheels i got as soon as i can afford the tires!!)zzz

Today i buttoned her up, and took her for "our" first real drive, from everett to burlington (to pick up my son from school). stopped by the car-wash on the way, and of course had to take some pics :grin:

click-on-pics:

th_DSC01124Large.jpg

Look how low she sits with the flipped strut mounts, and this is at 80psi air pressure for each rear strut, not back-breaker 0psi just to look cool :rolleyes:

th_DSC01122Large.jpg

th_DSC01119Large.jpg

now, imagine with these wheelzers!! :cool: (i need tires for 'em first :-\ )

th_DSC01465Large.jpg

fun day, beautiful day, perfect day for a drive :burnout:

:headbang:

chris

Lookin good!

I like the black out lenses, might do that to mine ;)

How's it running? You neglected to mention that :-p

oh yeah! minor detail :grin:

right out of the shoot, i jumped on the I-5 parking-lot in everett, it was kinda warm outside and i'm used to checking the temp gague on my wagon . . . on the XT6, it never moved above 1\4 :banana:

she's got some surprising go power, my butt dyno got tuned pretty well when i owned my G35, and i like what i feel in the XT6 . . . it feels like it's been tuned already (i'm really not very informed about her past :-\ )

as soon as you blip the throttle, she goes . . . . . . . . . . very smooth/strong torque curve with a little bitty flat(ish) spot from 3700 to 4200 rpms, but i suspect that will work itself out with a few more miles . . .

and with the magnaflow/flowmaster (i can't remember which) muffler on her, she really can howl at higher rpms, but is very civil in city driving

. . . still having an issue with the electric steering system, it doesn't seem to work :confused: making the car a bear to drive in parking lots, but just fine on the open road. i also think it's the main cause of a substantial fluid leak and burn smell, i've got some kind of lubricant crusted and leaking all around the steering rack, dripping on to the cat . . . :dead:

chris