Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid question, please forvgive me...

I have never changed the PCV valve on my 93 Loyale. I just looked and I cannot figure out where it is. How dumb is that? I even have the Haynes manual!

Yes I am an idiot. But will someone please take pity and tell me where it should be and what it should look like?

Has to be screwed into the intake manifold somewhere. Look around on the backside of the manifold, maybe on the driver's side first.

Yes, it should be screwed in. There will be a "T" and a couple of hoses approximately 3/4" diameter that come out of the back of the air intake (the black rubber thing that says "Subaru FI" on it). The PCV valve should be on the end of one of those hoses. But I don't remember which side either. I think it's pretty easy to see if you take out the spare tire.

Not a stupid question at all. The intake manifold is a large aluminum casting that is basically mounted to the top of the engine. Look for about a 3/4 inch black hose that appears to be stuck into the manifold on the upper side of the manifold (sort of passenger side IIRC, might be in the middle). The hose may be held on with a spring clamp. The hose attaches to the PCV, which is nothing but a heavy sort of hex bolt (19 mm IIRC) screwed into the manifold. It's torqued down pretty tight, so remember: lefty loosey.

I have never changed the PCV valve on my 93 Loyale.

Loyale = EA82 engine.

It should be on the intake manifold, directly behind the throttle body on the back. About a 1/2" hose connects to it.

Remove the hose, unscrew from manifold.

OK, found a picture of an EA82 SPFI engine that shows the PCV valve. It is circled in red. There was a change in the hoses from the earlier engines to the later one like your '93. So this '88 might have a different hose configuration. But the PCV valve will be in the same place.

6439DCP_16911.JPG

2 hyjack a thread

1 What does the PVC Valve Do

2 If you havent changed it, would you recomend it. I dont believe im haveing any pvc valve problems, but then again i would know what they were.

Ben

Positive Crankcase Ventilation it removes the unburnrt gases from the crankcase and routes them back thru the intake to be burnt. PCV has an affect on overall engine performace including gas milage. If they become clogged the engine will run rough and on some soobs because the hoses that carry the gases to the PCV are over the exhaust system oil coming up as part of the gases will collect in the hoses and drip on the exhaust causing mysterious oily smelling somke to rise from behind the engine. If your doing a good tune up the pcv valve is as important as anything eles your changing. Lesson over.