Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the "new" OEM oil fillters:confused: :confused: :confused: . I thought my parts guy was playing a joke on me when he handed it to me. I'm just wondering how much filltering that little thing can do. It's about 50mm across and maybe 25mm deep. Oh, and still the same price :grin: . Later, Tim

If you are talking about the little black ones, I think quite highly of them. I cut one in half and it had a very good drainback valve, a ton of pleats and the gasket on the surface does do a good job of sealing.

Material science has gotten much better, along with the design of engines. Not only do the smaller filters filter as much as the older ones, the engine also sheds less junk.

The one thing to keep in mind though, and this is a negative, is that that is less oil capacity in the engine.

nipper

If you are talking about the little black ones, I think quite highly of them. I cut one in half and it had a very good drainback valve, a ton of pleats and the gasket on the surface does do a good job of sealing.

I run them. They have similar ones for the auto trans also. They work OK Tim. Don't sweat it, they are fine.