Ultimate Subaru Message Board

nice.......just remember to take her for a good long test drive to be certain the head gaskets are giving you trouble (maybe they have already been done)....also i would check for torque bind..........other than those two things.....looks like a pretty nice car........

looks nice.

the most important thing i can think of is the timing belt. interference engine so you need to make sure it's been replaced. this is where it's best to by from a previous owner, they always know (or should, particularly with cars this nice) what's been done. if it hasn't or they don't know then it needs to be done. and if it needs to be done, at this mileage there's usually at least one, if not two, pulleys that also need replaced and the water pump should be replaced as well. if not you're expecting the original to make it to the next timing belt change...250,000, not a good gamble on a nice car. if you're paying someone for this you're looking at $400-$700 ($600-$1,000 at the dealer) depending what all is done.

being a dealer - it's likely they have no idea. you could check with subaru, maybe it was a dealer maintained car and they'll check. or you can ask the dealer to do it for you, include it in the price. problem with that is they may not do it right...inspect the pulleys or replace the water pump. i'd want both of those done...like i said you're expecting it all to last 250,000 miles until the next tbelt change.

make sure the clutch is in great shape. that's a $1,000 job you don't want to get into any time soon without knowing at least.

like he said check for torque bind (very rare, but possible, on 5 speeds) and headgaskets. i'd ask if there's any previous information on the car, like if the head gaskets have already been replaced. that's why i prefer buying from owners, not dealers.

this EJ25 will have the later version which leaks externally from the rear. so check the head gasket to block mating surface very well on the back side of the engine - facing the fire wall so to speak. look for any sign of leakage, seapage or someone previously cleaning it up.

the later versions call for the subaru additive in the coolant. i'd be sure to have the coolant changed and this additive added as soon as you get it. you might even be able to work that into the deal if it's a dealer.

Seller is the dealer... let me rephrase that... previous owner is the dealer... It's his personal car. He said the TB's etc. were done at the 110,000 service and I'm going to look over the records also.

I'll check the other stuff out but it looks like that's going to be the wife's new ride :brow: :brow:

Guess I better teach her to drive stick eh?