Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Considering purchase of 2000LegacyLimited-need some input

Considering the purchase of a 2000 Legacy L with nearly 180 K on the clock. This is a one owner car and appears to have been very well cared for.

It is currently on a used car lot and has been there for quite some time-- my guess is nearly a year. On a whim I took it for a test drive although not a long one-maybe 10 miles. It runs like a singer sewing machine-smooth and quite with plenty of power. I guess I'm comparing the power to my old 86 GL wagon. Anyway, I ask the dealer the story with the car and he tells me the mileage and stick shift tend to make people skitish. I get that, I'm a little skitish about plunking 6500 down on something with 180K. Although my old GL has 160K and runs great but only cost 500. Anybody got any thoughts on this? Been going through some posts and see things I should be looking for, especially hg problems and timing belt issues. Thanks for anybodys two cents. Dakotaguy

make sure it doesn't have head gasket issues.

someone else just asked today about a 2000 Legacy as well, check that thread out, lots of good information and i'm not typing what i wrote in that thread all over again here.

the only thing i'd add that i didn't type in the other thread is that it is high mileage and the price is high. but that it's a manual trans is more comforting, they take the 200,000+ miles better than auto's.

This model shouldn't show the above mentioned head gasket issues althoough it's good to check. The 2000's 2.5 SOHC have the external headgasket weeping (mostly on the driver's side) problems. Not the internal overheating, bubbles and/or oil in the overflow. You can physically see the coolant residue on the bottom of the cylinder casing where it meets the block if there is a leak.

Also, check for torque binding by turning tight circles. You can do a search on the board for much more information.

And welcome to the board!

:clap:

:popcorn:

This model shouldn't show the above mentioned head gasket issues althoough it's good to check. The 2000's 2.5 SOHC have the external headgasket weeping (mostly on the driver's side) problems. Not the internal overheating, bubbles and/or oil in the overflow. You can physically see the coolant residue on the bottom of the cylinder casing where it meets the block if there is a leak.

Also, check for torque binding by turning tight circles. You can do a search on the board for much more information.

And welcome to the board!

:clap:

Thanks for the great info. I'll go back with some good points to check out. Still not sure about a rig with near a 180K on it. I've had some Honda's over the years with that kind of mileage and no problems.

How far out of line is $6500 for a price? NADA showes 7500 for retail. Subies are like finding hens teeth in this part of the country.

How far out of line is $6500 for a price? NADA showes 7500 for retail. Subies are like finding hens teeth in this part of the country.
sounds high to me. if it's in great shape, and in your price range, and they're hard to come by and you want a subaru...then it sounds like an okay fit for you, which is all that matters.

97-98 legacy GT's cost less than that with only 80,000 miles on them. i'd rather have a couple years older and 100,000 less miles.

make sure those head gasket have never leaked. and make sure the timing belts are on the up and up. personally at that mileage i'd want to take it apart and verify the tensioners and pulleys aren't good. even at 80k i've yet to open an EJ25 that doesn't need at least one pulley - at 180,000 i'd imagine more than one could probably use replacing. keep in mind...one pulley seizes, the belt breaks and does major internal engine damage (interference engine). there's pictures of what pulleys do when they fail on this board. keep that in mind when you're thinking price and future maintenance. that timing belt job will run $500-$1000 to replace at the dealer. if you can do it yourself then probably $150-$300 in parts.

sounds high to me. if it's in great shape, and in your price range, and they're hard to come by and you want a subaru...then it sounds like an okay fit for you, which is all that matters.

97-98 legacy GT's cost less than that with only 80,000 miles on them. i'd rather have a couple years older and 100,000 less miles.

make sure those head gasket have never leaked. and make sure the timing belts are on the up and up. personally at that mileage i'd want to take it apart and verify the tensioners and pulleys aren't good. even at 80k i've yet to open an EJ25 that doesn't need at least one pulley - at 180,000 i'd imagine more than one could probably use replacing. keep in mind...one pulley seizes, the belt breaks and does major internal engine damage (interference engine). there's pictures of what pulleys do when they fail on this board. keep that in mind when you're thinking price and future maintenance. that timing belt job will run $500-$1000 to replace at the dealer. if you can do it yourself then probably $150-$300 in parts.

I would do all the work myself. I have gotten a "ton" of experiance from working on my old 86 GL that I got a couple years ago. 4x4 with hi-lo and this thing will go through some s--t--I'm amazed everytime I drive it. I have a 4wd Nissan PU that doesn't do any better.

Anyway -this OBW is really nice and I will go back this weekend and do a LONG drive and check all the things I've learned. I saw somewhere on the web that 2000-2001 OBW with 2.5 got a recall notice about the HG issue. I should be able to find out if this was done. Thanks again. Jim

I saw somewhere on the web that 2000-2001 OBW with 2.5 got a recall notice about the HG issue.
i don't think they were recalled, but they did extend the HG warranty to 100,000 on some vehicles. either way, good to check if they were ever replaced or not. i've bought two Legacy's that had already had the head gaskets replaced on their EJ25's.

if your experience is anything like mine, the newer EJ transmissions are lame compared to the older gen stuff (if your GL is a manual trans and has 4WD). the older gen with locking center diffs and rear clutch type LSD are much better trail riders, in the mud, snow and stuff like that than the newer stuff. but like me you'll have more than one soob and i assume you won't need your 2000 Legacy for that!

good luck, hope you like it!

The dealer's asking price sounds rather high for a car with 180K miles on the

ODO. Prices vary around the country, but just to give you some info, I purchased a 99 automatic Legy OBW in Dec 07 with 150K miles. Cost was about $4200. Since the dealer has had this car you are looking at for about a year, my guess he would prolly sell it for $4K or less.

You prolly won't get any service records, so figure on a timing belt, and possibly brakes, maybe a tune up as well. Use this info in your discussion to deal for a lower price, if you are truly interested in buying the car.

Good luck!

The dealer's asking price sounds rather high for a car with 180K miles on the

ODO. Prices vary around the country, but just to give you some info, I purchased a 99 automatic Legy OBW in Dec 07 with 150K miles. Cost was about $4200. Since the dealer has had this car you are looking at for about a year, my guess he would prolly sell it for $4K or less.

You prolly won't get any service records, so figure on a timing belt, and possibly brakes, maybe a tune up as well. Use this info in your discussion to deal for a lower price, if you are truly interested in buying the car.

Good luck!

Took the VIN # ,called the only Sub dealer in the area. Found that it had head problems in 02. Looks like a new "short block" was installed along with the head gasket repair, heads were ok. Usual 8 years or 100K warrentee. a few other minor things have been done along the way. Doesn't seem to be any records about timing belts being replaced anywhere.

Once the head gasket problem was resolved, does this take care of this particular problem? Is it something that would be apt to crop up again? The dealership changed hands along the way so some of the records aren't complete but knowing this much is nice. Thanks a bunch folks, I appreciate the input. Jim