Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Turbo - engine type?

Hi all.

Sort of newb here but I liked the "sube family" post :)

Before I start asking for help maybe someone could tell me how to identify my engine type?

Like is it an EA81T, or what?

And are there specific English, (OK, UK), engine versions?

Like I said: Jan 93 Turbo, 1994cc, 196 bhp (maybe not now?), Estate - you call 'em Wagons I believe.

I just love this car :) It's done ca. 185,000 with quite a few bits replaced from scappers, (springs mostly) but it goes like no other car I've ever owned. And I had quite a few over the last 45 years.

P.S. How do I include pics in my posts?

Hey. Thanks guys.

But a little confused. :confused:

Is there any way, by examining the engine, I can determine whether it is an EJ 2.0T?

Note taken about the posting place - just thought 15 years old to be old :o

BTW, if you haven't a 2.0T in North America, what Turbo models do you have?

I note in another post a reference to an XT Turbo Legacy in North America.

Ooops :( nearly forgot to appreciate the welcome. Thanks :)

Is there any way, by examining the engine, I can determine whether it is an EJ 2.0T?

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean, there are two versions of the EJ 2.0T, SOHC and DOHC. On the block, at the front looking, behind the oil sensor, there is a raised platform area in the casting, that should have the displacement stamped on it: eg: 1.8EJ 2.0EJ, 2.2EJ, 2.5EJ. I am not sure if there is a turbo designation stamped here too (and it's -11 outside this AM, so I'm not going out to look, at least not right now).

if you haven't a 2.0T in North America

I didn't say that, I said that that motor was not factory installed in a Legacy body for N. America. Here that motor would be found in the smaller series of cars, ie. Imprezza.

XT Turbo Legacy

Officially no such car exists.

(early turbo Legacy cars here were called "sport sedans")

1994cc,

it is a 2.0

It is a EJ20T

It should be stamped in your block someplace... the EJ20 part.

The US Legacy's got the 2.2 liter turbo in their Turbo Legacys. Known as the EJ22T.

And Reveen. I dont think the US got any variation of the EJ20. Not until the WRX came over here. The Early impreza's went from 1.8 to 2.2 liter.

-Brian

Note taken about the posting place - just thought 15 years old to be old :o

that is the common assumption. but Subarus have existed for about 40 years. so 15 is still pretty new.

also, pop-riveted to the driver's side strut tower, there's a steel plate with some serial numbers stamped on it. This will have your true engine code, as an EJ20T doesn't really exist, it's just a generic term to reference any 2.0l turbo motor. Your motor should be an EJ20G.