Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm shopping for tires. Brand, size, I'm indifferent.

In these days of potholes and wallboard screws scattered carelessly around Home Depot parking lots, tires seem to get trashed before they fill out their useful life, and with the AWD sensitivity, it means throwing out 3 good with one bad, usually.

I'm thinking my best bet is to have a complete matching 5th and move it into the tire rotation.

We lucked out last time on L's Forester with 2 trashed tires (the above mentioned wallboard screws). She had the road hazard warranty which covered 2 tires so we only had to throw away 2 usable tires with (1/3) life in them instead of 3. The Legato lost a hoof Tuesday to something.

I'm thinking of getting a 5th tire and a wheel, in the hopes that over the lifetime I can probably get the full usable life out of the tires.

And stay out of Home Depot parking lots. :cool:

i am surprised subaru factory does not provide identical full size spare on the new vehicles, that would be part of scheduled maintenance to rotate in with the others on a regular basis. This is one major downfall of having AWD, when a single tire requires replacement, it means getting all 4 new......

I looked over a year to find a tire with near tread wear on one i had to replace. But that was on a car that was not driven, til i found the tire.

There is no full size spare tire becuase it adds weight to the car, which will hurt it on the EPA Dyno for gas mileage. The weights are determined in groups, not net weight, so i am guessing that sooby's are close to the next grouping and want to stay out of it.

I have a real spare and do a 5 tire rotataion. My best friend aganist road damage is road hazard insurance whne i buy tires. i tend to use it a lot.

nipper

hehe yes I just got new wheels&tires and was considering buying a fifth full size spare to rotate in. However, the tires had directional tread so I decided against the 5th tire.

There is always someone that has to make life hard for the rest of us....

nipper

we got full size spares on both the 05 OBW and the 91 legacy wagon. Although the Outbacks one is now on the attic at home cause the propane tank there.

Ok but to help you out a 5 tire rotation scheme would like like this

Left front = LF, Left Rear = LR, Right front = RF, Right Rear = RR, Boot = B

LF goes to LR

LR goes to RF

RF goes to RR

RR goes to B

B goes to LF

Guess i had them all if you need a drawing please ask again, have no time at this very moment.