Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What happened is my car had a bad couple of motor swaps, and ended up with the wrong motor wiring harness.

Right now the car has a 2.2. I also think that 2.2 is a MAP motor. The car is throwing a MAF code, cause there is nothin hook up to the MAF. I am going the junk ya to cut the MAF connector off another card and wire it in. My queastios how? What wires go where??? Here are some pis of the engine.

Here are som pics of the motor and wiring prints i trying to figuer out. Pls HELP.

SUB2.png

SUB1.png

wire2.png

wire1.png

The best suggestion that I can give you is to go to a wrecking yard, and try to find a car with the same engine that you have. Take a pad of paper and pen with you, and write down what color wires go where on the donor car. Then take the connector home, and splice in the connector. Hopefully, all color wires should match up, and all works well again.

Also, before you go to the wrecking yard, write down the number and color codes of wires on your car, and take this written info with you to the yard. That should also help you find a correct matching car in a yard.

Trying to wire in the plug for the MAF is getting in deeper than you want to. My suggestion is to find a car at the JY and pull the engine bay harness and put it into your car. Not nearly as difficult as trying to follow those wires for re wiring. If your ECU is giving a MAF code and you put in th harness all should be fine.

Good luck

What happened is my car had a bad couple of motor swaps, and ended up with the wrong motor wiring harness.

Right now the car has a 2.2.

SUB2.png

SUB1.png

I could be wrong, but....

IAC on the Throttle body, Coilpack off center, and the shape of the valve covers look like a SOHC 2.5

What year and model is the car?

Also, the MAF, Harness, and ECU would all stay in the car during an engine swap. Even if someone put the wrong motor in, the Maf harness would still be there. It's either been chopped, or is folded away hidden.

I would find that maf plug - it should have one, find out where it went. Buying one and planning to swap it out is pointless...you'll still have to find out where it goes and what happened to the original harness - so do that first.

MAF's are identical across a wide range of Subaru's, so that's good news.

Important info:

Figure out what engine it is.

Figure out what year it is, you/we need to know.

Figure out if the intake manifold was swapped or is probably original to the engine.

Get the ECU part number and look up what engine it's for.

Start there...EJ swaps are relatively simple but there are some changes across different years that complicate matters.

That solenoid on the passengers side strut tower should have a vacuum hose running from the empty port on the solenoid to the engine. and it has a filter in line with it too - $7 from Subaru. could you have a vacuum leak somewhere?

Well, Thanks for all the responses. I am glade i posted the here. Let me try to answer some of the questions. AS far as the car is has a 2.2. I said that cause the block has ej2.2 stamped on it, so i figured it was a 2.2. I am going to the yard next weekend. i will be righting stuff this time. Now the engine harness defently has the maf on it right? When I went to the yard the mafs where wired to the same harness as the abs sensors. The cars where like 95s to 98s.

Here is my theory on what happened to the MAF wire. In another post I wrote on another website someone mentioned that the motor mite be a MAP motor and not a MAF. This would explain why the new motor haness has no MAF. Also i am thinking this way, because the motor is like new, Less then 15k so i was told. So a new 2.2 may be a MAP senor motor im thinking at least.

The intake looks like it has not be changed.

The car is a 99 2.5 rs.

Like i said the engine says 2.2 on the block.

As for as the year of the motor. I don't know. Is the any kind of Number on the block that i can look up to find out about the specfic motor details.

Where do i look up the ecu numbers.

The solenoid on the strut tower is also missing the wires like the MAF??? What do they do anyways.? Do they control the tranny like in the phase 1 4eat. cause i do have hard shifts as if i pulled the resistor on my xt6.

One more thing gary, What happened to The xt6.net site i need to get ride of my xt6 in a bad way.

Sorry about the lenth but pls keep helping me i am stuck with the car and my mpg is killing me.

xt6 forum:

http://subaruxt.com/forum/

you really need to find out what year engine that is...i'd start another thread like (help me determine what engine this is). on a side note, ambiguous thread titles like this one don't help people who might want to help decide if they're going to check it out or not.

anyway, if you're talking about 99-2002 engines (which is sounds like you are), there are significant changes across those years. later model EJ22's will not run off 2.5 stuff. but without details it's really hard to say.

what do you mean "bad couple of motor swaps"?

was the wiring changed at all...i mean the car/ECU wiring?

is the ECU still the 98 RS?

Thanks for the tip on posting i can never seem to get the title right. My theads go with out a replies. I posted another thread trying to find out what year the motor is. I may even try the dealer but the probley won't get any help:confused:

Was there ever a 2.2 that came useing a MAP senor?

What i ment by bad swaps was, from what i figuered out the car has had 4 different motors in it including the original. All i know about the second motor was that it was a dohc block with sohc heads on it.(what they told me:eek:) The oil passages did not line up. The car was knocking thats why I had them change the motor. The Garage got the 3rd motor swaped in and it wasen't holding compression on one of the cyclinders. And the 4th motor is a good motor almost new, but missin tha MAF wires.

From what i can tell the ecu is the original.

go to subarupartsforyou.com or subarugenuineparts.com and start looking up part numbers for EJ22's in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002...and see what differences there are.

i'd check TPS, MAF, Knock sensor, Coil packs....see what years have different part numbers and go from there.

Comparing FSM's would be nice too....seeing if different exploded views of the motors look any different.

If this is an EJ22 into an EJ25 vehicle there's a good chance you're going to need EJ25 cams on your EJ22 to get it to work. That might be your problem right now if it's not starting.

Well gary I have to really thank you for your help. I think i have the motor narrowed down to 2000-2001 2.2. I took the numbers off the tps. The car does run pretty good. My Gas milage sucks an i have a little shake at idle.

Now That i know the year where do i go from here.:banana::banana::banana::headbang::headbang::headbang::clap::clap::clap::clap:

awesome good job! sounds like yo'ure getting somewhere!?!?

two options:

the easiest would be to find an intake manifold that matches your existing wiring and ECU - sounds like this would be a 99 SOHC Phase II EJ25? if that's the case i think the EJ25 and EJ22 intake manifolds are interchangeable...they are in some later years. (they are NOT interchangeable prior to 1999 so the info gets really mucky).

anyway, if the intakes are interchangeable i'd want to bolt an original intake onto the engine.

your next option...which may be a good one since the car is running okay, is to double check the part number for every sensor. you want to match your wiring and ECU...which sounds like it's a 1999 EJ25. you want sensors for that engine on your existing EJ22 since that's what the computer is looking for.

and you may need to swap cams...to 1999 EJ25 Phase II cams....but if it is running you might not need to (may not be necessary or have already been done). if the cams need swapped i don't think the car will run...which it sounds like yours is.

good luck, sorry i can'jt be more clear and specific but the 99+ stuff is confusing.

Im i little confused, so let me try to clarify. The easest thing for my to do is to go to a yard and get a intake and the wiring harness that goes with it for a 1999 2.5 motor? Also the MAf is on the wiring harness with the intake. Hey thanks again i hope it works.

there's still a lot of unknowns for me...but a for sure way to get a 1999 EJ25 vehicle (body side wiring) and a 1999 EJ25 ECU to work is to feed it the information it needs - which will come from a 1999 EJ25 intake manifold and 1999 EJ25 Cams. make sure it's all Phase II (SOHC) stuff.

BUT...the only thing i can't promise is that the EJ25 intake manifold will bolt to the the EJ22 engine. i *think* it will...i know that some later model EJ22 and EJ25 intake manifolds do interchange...but most (earlier) do not. so i'm not sure of the exact years that do....but i think yours will being Phase II...unless there are Phase II differences.

BUT...even if that doesn't work, what will work is to swap the EJ25 intake wiring harness onto the EJ22 intake manifold that's already in the car.

and then you can swap any necessary sensors as well...like the TPS or any that might be different. or they could all be the same, you should have done your homework like i suggested earlier and should know more than me by now about that.

and you'll probably need to swap the EJ25 cams onto the EJ22...again, something that's required on a very few late model swaps, but not earlier ones. this is very important to know because most people don't know it.

OR....you can study the wiring diagrams. if things are close enough it might run better on an EJ22 ECU without touching any engine/intake stuff.....but i think that's more of a head scratcher.

if it were mine i'd look into the ECU - just because of how easy that is to access and swap. usually you can get an ECU for $25-$40, that's so cheap i'd just try it just to do it....and i can say that because i just did it. i bought two ECU's for a car just to try...and i'm getting another tomorrow, just to see what it does. for $40 and no time, why not? but i don't like to tell people to spend money if it might not work either...so you choose.