Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 out, EA81 in.....

I did an EA81 swap, and I actually gained some power :banana: its pretty straight forward, take one out, put the EA82 flywheel and clutch assembly on the EA81, and stick the new motor in. custom hoses for the radiator, but if you use the EA82 intake you will only need the one hose on the waterpump, and if you use the EA82 crossover pipe that comes off the water pump and goes to the heater, you wont have to change anything there. Usually the EA82 intake will bolt on, but I had to make 1/4 inch spacers for mine, it was hitting the block where the two halves come together. If you have AC and power steering you will need to make custom brackets or source the power steering and AC pumps and brackets off an EA81 car. Oil filler tube will be on the driver's side instead of the passenger side, but it doesnt interfere with anything.

Good to know. 250K+ and still running quite strong. Who knows when I will need to find something. People are trying to talk me into moving up to a Legacy, but I cant see why I would ever want to do that.

I would look for an EA81, more reliable by far than the EA82.

That is a VERY speculative and questionable statement.

The one and only thing "less" reliable is the timing belts, which are easily replaced on the road. I don't know why so many people are affraid of a strip of rubber???

I've never had one break other than on newly acquired vehicles before i had a chance to replace them. Replace the belts at proper intervals and there is nothing unreliable about them in my opinion.

That is a VERY speculative and questionable statement.

The one and only thing "less" reliable is the timing belts, which are easily replaced on the road. I don't know why so many people are affraid of a strip of rubber???

I've never had one break other than on newly acquired vehicles before i had a chance to replace them. Replace the belts at proper intervals and there is nothing unreliable about them in my opinion.

Headgaskets? EA82s seem more pron to blowing headgaskets than the EA81s.

More reliable is in the design, the EA81 is built with less parts, therefore there are less things that can fail, hence it is more reliable. And It is NOT easy to replace timing belts on an EA82 if you are stranded on the side of the road in a stock as a rock rig, with no tools and the covers on. I can see how it could be easy if you run em bare, but most folks dont.

I run my 87 gL Wagon without covers. I like the ease of maintenence that this gives me. I drove for 50K before I changed the belts that were on it when i got it. After that, the idler pulley froze up, and I had to replace it. Then the tensioner pulley on the drivers side quit, and I had to replace it. I bought and replaced both, just to be sure. I am looking for another EA82 to rebuild and replace my engine with. It has 220K, and I did not put all of them on it. I can't wait until my taxes come in. New engine for the Wagon and a new tranny for the Brat.

More reliable is in the design, the EA81 is built with less parts, therefore there are less things that can fail, hence it is more reliable.

If that where true, we'd all still be drivng Model Ts

Less parts does not equal more reliable. Overall design dictates reliability.

EA81 and EA82 are basically the same engine, other than the Valve train. The differences represent improvements. Why do you think Timing belts are the norm on almost all modern enigine designs?

And It is NOT easy to replace timing belts on an EA82 if you are stranded on the side of the road in a stock as a rock rig, with no tools and the covers on. I can see how it could be easy if you run em bare, but most folks dont.

I have done it in less than an hour. A/C and Power steering equiped car with covers ON. It is really not that hard.

And BTW, it's pretty hard to repair anything on the side of the road with no tools:rolleyes:

And BTW, it's pretty hard to repair anything on the side of the road with no tools:rolleyes:

well duh :-p

In my opinion, the EA81 is a better motor. There are less parts that can fail, it has almost as much power, and its just as easy to maintain and repair, and even if timing belts arent that big a deal for some people, I like not having to worry about if my belts are gonna leave me stranded halfway to Seatle again :-\ .

I like not having to worry about if my belts are gonna leave me stranded halfway to Seatle again :-\ .

You're belts didn't leave you stranded, you did by not maintaining them.

You're entitle to you're opinion.

However, The information here is taken at face value by newcomers, and statements bashing EA82s are a disservice to the remarkable durabilty of those engines.

I've been driving almost nothing but EA82s for 13 years now, and the ONLY time I've had a timing belt break was on a car I was driving home from purchasing. That's because I replace my belts and do the maintainance. NEVER, has an EA82 made me walk.

I like both engines, the only clear advantage to me of the EA-81 is it's ability to take on a few more inches of water :lol: Plus, I love push rods and the lack of technology with the EA-81. The simpler the better in my books, then again I treat my cars more like ATV's. If I was ever to be in the market for an EA-82 replacement, I would just get the adaptor plate and go EJ 2.5 DOHC instead of EA-81. Now those timing belts are worth all their trouble :cool: