Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 out, EA81 in.....

I like to check mine out every time I do an oil change. If you notice the belts becoming cracked, discoloration, or oil residue on them, then its time to replace them. If an interval is needed, depending on the belts, with NEW OEM ones, you can do the 75k interval I think it is? Cheaper belts need to be replaced more often...

I bought a timing belt kit with idler and tensioners off of ebay for $55 or so and its been awesome in the 1500 miles I've put on them. WHen I did them though, I pulled the motor and replaced a bunch of seals/gaskets, replaced the radiator hoses, clutch and did a cooling flush and oil change. I figure if you keep up on the maintanence of the motor, it'll last forever. I put my EA82 SPFI through its paces and it doesn't complain and this includes high revving, twisty road sprited driving.:popcorn:

In my opinion, the EA81 is a better motor. There are less parts that can fail

By That logic, we'd all be driving RX-7s, not model A's. (I drive a model A at work EVERYDAY twice a day... runs great..:lol: )

Anyhoo... I'm a big EA82 fan, just not the turbo, don't get me started. I've had my wagon for 3 years now and had my first problem a few days after my last outing... I drove through some really high mud... the kind that upsets the distributor and makes it not want to run... and turns the engine a nice tan color... After a few days a T-belt idler failed. I had never opened the front of the motor in the past 3 years, and the car had sat for 2 years prior... and it's highly unlikely it had been touched before that at all.. so yeah, lack of maintenance FTL.

Anyway I got all new idlers, and actually threw some used belts in there and left it coverless... I've junked so many of these engines due to not needing parts that I have many sets of belts... and as my EA fleet gets converted I end up with even more extra sets. IIRC all I need to save myself is a 12mm and a ratchet? Plus with the lift it is a cake walk.

Now I can see the other side as well... I have an EA81 BRAT and all I did to it was change the dizzy and add plugs and wires to get it running... It was a pizza guys car before and well... taking care of it wasn't even on his radar... the little oil there was was thick and creamy. Thing still runs great tho.

My opinion.... I prefer the EA82.. I've owned many more of them because I prefer the body style... and I just know how to work on them more as well. The EA81 is a great motor as well, just not my cup of tea, and I personally don't like the body style. I like my cars designed with rulers and sharp right angles... none of these rounded corners!:-p