Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys i bought this Legacy Outback a few months back, but im running into issues.

First, the tailgate will not open. I hear it unlocking, but it won`t open. Any pointers?

Second, the clutch with go soft and the pickup point will change every once in a while. Its not leaking and it doesn`t have air in the lines, i just bled it using the correct method for a clutch, which is not the same as with brakes. The pedal will simply develop a play and not work properly, i can still change the gears.

Im trying to sell it because i got a civic instead because the subbie is way expensive for gas, so i want to have it all aright for when i do sell it.

Thanks for any help!

Rust has gotten to the rear handle assembly. 25.00 in parts fomr one of the online suppliers will fis that. A new handle, new license playe light assy and bolts.

Second one sounds like a bad master or slave cylinder, or both.

nipper

I, too, have a 99 OBW. As Nipper said, rust has gotten to the rear handle assembly. On my car, the handle spring won't fully pull the handle back to the resting position. I have to pull it back to the resting position. Failure to do so, results in the handle being squeazed, but tail gate latch not releasing.

A good shot of penetrating oil or PB Blaster helps free up the handle for a while, but the rust will return to haunt you wants again.

I, too, have a 99 OBW. As Nipper said, rust has gotten to the rear handle assembly. On my car, the handle spring won't fully pull the handle back to the resting position. I have to pull it back to the resting position. Failure to do so, results in the handle being squeazed, but tail gate latch not releasing.

A good shot of penetrating oil or PB Blaster helps free up the handle for a while, but the rust will return to haunt you wants again.

I got all new parts for mine, took an entire 30 minutes to install. Prbbly spent more time then that total trying to open or close the latch.

nipper

thing is, my clutch problem is intermittent. I seems to only do it when going around big corners like highway on ramps...i thought about the bad master or slave, but it doesnt add up because its not always messed up.

When a master cylinder first goes, it doesnt have any rhyme or reason to it either.

nipper