Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear tortion bar on EA81...how strong is it?

I think thats the right termanology for that 3-4 inch thick circular bar that is bolted to the cars subframe right in front of the rear tires. The reason i ask how strong it is is im planning on figuring out how to set my car up with a rear sway bar and am thinking through ideas in my head and one of them involved throwing U bolts over the tortion bar and bolting the sway bar to it. What do you all think of that? Good idea or suicide?

I think after looking at that rear sway bar and looking under my car im going to attempt to make my own out of 7/8 inch (maybe smaller) round stock from home cheapo or something like that. Bend it to the right shape, flatten the ends, drill two holes and bam..done. Ill let everyone know how it turns out.

I think after looking at that rear sway bar and looking under my car im going to attempt to make my own out of 7/8 inch (maybe smaller) round stock from home cheapo or something like that. Bend it to the right shape, flatten the ends, drill two holes and bam..done. Ill let everyone know how it turns out.

Anti-sway bars are made out of spring steel and heat treated. You'll have to get that material from a specialized vendor and heat treat it after you form it.

If you use mild steel it will soon crack and fail.

An EA82 Turbo rear sway bar is much easier and cleaner to install - you just have to cut the brackets off the EA82 trailing arms and weld them to the EA81 arms. The ends of the sway bar have to be shortened slightly as well - a band saw would be best. Qman did that with his dark grey Brat IIRC.

They mount ONLY to the arms so fitment is much easier as there is no modifications to the torsion bar tube.

GD

GD i have a question for you about sway bars. If the EA82T and the XT6 bars dont mount to the frame at all, how do they do there job well? Isnt the point of mounting them to the frame to keep the rear from..well...swaying? Wont it sway with the bar just connected between the trailer arms?

Bump for ^ question.

The bar is connected to two points on each arm rather than the conventional arrangment of one point on each arm and two points on the body.

Actually the point of the sway bar is to limit the amount of difference in the travel of the two arms. If one goes up the sway forces the other one to match - and so forth. This keeps the car from tilting as the only way that can happen is if one arm is up and the other one down. Going into a corner the outside arm will compress and the inside will extend. The sway bar causes the outside arm to exert a compression force on the inside, and the inside exerts a pulling force on the outside. The bigger the bar the more it tends to keep them level with each other.

GD

then it isn't a torsion beam suspension.

it's an independant rear suspension.

if you have your terms wrong to start with how can you expect a good answer.

(see I can be an rump roast too. and I went out on a limb for that I really thought when you all said torsion beam it was an actual torsion beam suspension)

does it have springs, too? or dio the bars act as the springs?

then it isn't a torsion beam suspension.

it's an independant rear suspension.

if you have your terms wrong to start with how can you expect a good answer.

(see I can be an rump roast too. and I went out on a limb for that I really thought when you all said torsion beam it was an actual torsion beam suspension)

does it have springs, too? or dio the bars act as the springs?

No one said anything about a beam style suspension. What we said was torsion "TUBE". The bars are encapsulated in a single tube.

And no - it doesn't have springs. That's what the torsion bars are for. It has external shocks and an internal (adjustable on the 4WD's) torsion bar assembly.

GD