Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T theoretical power?

believe me, i've already climbed this hill . . . couldn't agree with the philosophy more . . . (my thread from last month)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86346&highlight=the+answer

just don't think you have the numbers quite right . . . no big deal. :headbang:

chris

Try to search a bit in the older posts, preferrably from WJM, he has posted a lot of valuable information in this subject.

If you agree with me or not, that's fine, it's good to know we agree on the "feeling good" part :)

I am buying an EJ25 SOHC 170 some odd HP motor for 250

when you get the EA82 to 170 crank HP dependably tell me how much it cost you.

Unfortunately, what it costs ME and what it would cost the next guy are apples and oranges. I've got access to a full machine shop (mills, lathes, welders, polishers, waterjet, etc.) as well as a lot of scrap material at no cost so there's things that I would be able to do that might not be repeatable w/out someone else spending a whole swag of money.

I'm thinking on what route I would use if I was to attempt a build on the EA82T. My main reason for being interested in it is that I have all that stuff at my disposal and an engine gathering dust in my parts car so why the heck not give it a try?

Looking to hypothesize here. IF the HG issue was resolved AND there was sufficient cooling available AND fuel delivery was taken care of, what would be the top HP that you could expect to see out of an EA82T?

check-headgasket:

you drill and tap for head studs.

you have the block align bored and decked, case halves pinned.

replace the block bolts with studs.

epoxy all studs in

If you've done all that, it's got a chance of being reliable. Oh, 75 to 100 hp per cylinder.

Doug

I think that much could be done to deal with the headgasket issue by thinking about where they typically blow: All the ones that I have seen have blown between the cylinder's fire ring and the all-to-adjacent water jacket "eyebrow" passages. Typically, the HG just gets pushed sideways into the passage. I plan on trying collars (similar to headbolt collars) around the water (and maybe oil) passages. "Staking" the headgasket with small pins may also help. "O"-ringing the cylinders themselves probably wouldn't hurt. I also plan on collaring all of the head fasteners.

The cooling system needs some real attention, and I was considering providing independent water feeds to both case halves; I believe that the only water passage between the two halves is a "transom" passage at the top of the block, so if water level is low or there is a trapped air bubble (need to make that small bypass at top of block bigger...) then waterflow is compromised.

Lots of other thoughts, too, but need to do instead of talk. :)

As far as "why bother with an EA82?" Well why bother with an EJ? Use and EG33 or EZ30... or a VG35 or a 350CID or whatever. No reason needed, jsut wnats he/she wants to do.

What ever happened to WJM? He's the one who said, I'm sure others have too, but he's the one I saw say it: "Reliable, Cheap, Power....pick two" that's how you have to build an engine.

I have no clue on how much power can come out of an EA82t, but I agree with addressing the common issues...fuel delivery and cooling. I'm going to push my EA82t this summer.

Stand alone fuel management (Megasquirt), custom fuel rails, oil cooler, bigger radiator, 2.25 exhaust, and spider intake. Why do this when I could swap an EJ into it? Because, I like the challenge, I like the fact that I have to figure it out. When I do blow the engine up, I'll think of the EJ then, but probably won't do it. I'll learn from the last one and make it better.

This guy found out that the 3rd injector failed and caused 3rd cylinder problems. This was back in 1994 or 1995. If you look at the fuel delivery system you'll see that #3 is last in line to get fuel...leaving a theory that it will get starved and run lean.

The injectors were sent to RC Engineering in Torence CA for a cleaning and balance. They returned with the report that the #3 injector was pretty bad off when they received it. It is my conclusion that the poor spray pattern and decreased capacity caused the #3 cylinder to run lean,

Johnson']What ever happened to WJM? He's the one who said' date=' I'm sure others have too, but he's the one I saw say it: "Reliable, Cheap, Power....pick two" that's how you have to build an engine.

I have no clue on how much power can come out of an EA82t, but I agree with addressing the common issues...fuel delivery and cooling. I'm going to push my EA82t this summer.

Stand alone fuel management (Megasquirt), custom fuel rails, oil cooler, bigger radiator, 2.25 exhaust, and spider intake. Why do this when I could swap an EJ into it? Because, I like the challenge, I like the fact that I have to figure it out. When I do blow the engine up, I'll think of the EJ then, but probably won't do it. I'll learn from the last one and make it better.

This guy found out that the 3rd injector failed and caused 3rd cylinder problems. This was back in 1994 or 1995. If you look at the fuel delivery system you'll see that #3 is last in line to get fuel...leaving a theory that it will get starved and run lean.

you fix that with a nice custom fuel rail with (more) equal length runners.

I am noticing all the new headers for EJs are the equal length no boxer rumble type. thumbs way down...

So I know WJM had set something up for oil coolers, and eventually his source crapped out. What are the current options?

does an EA82T require something unique . . . because there are many universal oil coolers out there, you just have to decide where you want it mounted, and where your line in and line out are going to be :burnout:

if you really wanna go crazy, you get a thin 12v cooling fan that mounts on either side of the cooler to push or pull air thru it.

I don't think we have enough combined dyno experience to really say for sure where the upper limits of EA82T power are. The best we have are those two or three people who have dyno'ed their cars. They have hard evidence, and anything we speculate is just that... speculation. Build it, dyno it and then get back to us.

As for the suspension, newer legacy stuff can be modded to work in the rear and pretty much any EJ stuff can be made to work with a front 5 lug conversion.

I don't think we have enough combined dyno experience to really say for sure where the upper limits of EA82T power are. The best we have are those two or three people who have dyno'ed their cars. They have hard evidence...snip...Build it, dyno it and then get back to us.

It might take me a year:)

It's all about pressure. My estimate is that there's never been but a couple handfulls or less of serious EA-82's built. Built the right way. Tuned the right way.

The ignition system.

The fuel system.

The cooling system.

You mess one of these up making big numbers, that engine is toast. Run it lean, never. Too much spark advance for the fuel, never. Cooling system, you better have it together and figured out.

And, a dyno is just a measuring device. Like lots of others. It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

/me who has been sweating over an EA all day.

Doug

Edit: What I'm wondering is, has anyone here, first hand knowledge of an EA-82 block being decked?

I think that much could be done to deal with the headgasket issue by thinking about where they typically blow: All the ones that I have seen have blown between the cylinder's fire ring and the all-to-adjacent water jacket "eyebrow" passages. Typically, the HG just gets pushed sideways into the passage. I plan on trying collars (similar to headbolt collars) around the water (and maybe oil) passages. "Staking" the headgasket with small pins may also help. "O"-ringing the cylinders themselves probably wouldn't hurt. I also plan on collaring all of the head fasteners.

The cooling system needs some real attention, and I was considering providing independent water feeds to both case halves; I believe that the only water passage between the two halves is a "transom" passage at the top of the block, so if water level is low or there is a trapped air bubble (need to make that small bypass at top of block bigger...) then waterflow is compromised.

Lots of other thoughts, too, but need to do instead of talk. :)

Edit:Borescoped the heads, SPFI and MPFI. /me still not clear on this point. Well, not absolutly certain on, oh NM:)

EA-82_Drivers_Side_003.jpg