Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*SOLVED!* looking for experience with HIGH-temp loctite on a clutch

Hey everyone,

1989 ea82 4x4 flywheel.

Approx 1 month ago was assembled (the 6 pressure plate bolts) with high temp (600 degree) loctite.

**problem** ...now I have to take it apart, as the clutch DISK inside is the wrong one (DONT ask) :rolleyes:

I dont wanna heat it with my MAPP torch, for fear of messing with the spring steel of the pressure plate...... BUT.... the 6 bolts in question are only torque-spec'd to 12 ft/lbs, so I know they are soft.... and I dont wanna snap them off flush = FUBAR

Without heat, what will release first, the loctite.... or will the bolts snap?

Does anyone have any experience with breaking this stuff loose?

Thanks very much!

a brief shot of heat directed at the bolts shouldn't hurt the spring should it? maybe try a smaller torch if yours is too large for those close distances?

a search for lock-tite online might garner some good suggestions or even a visit to their website?

if you have any other flywheel bolts, thread them into something with the same locktite and torque and come back the following day to see what happens.

might not want to reassemble with it next time?

good luck, hope you get those jokers out!

Go to the loctite website, they will be able to tell you how to release it.

I have never heard of anyone using loctite on those threads befroe, is it common (I know i never did). Aso the high temp one was prbbly the wrong one to use in that location.

nipper

Use blue locktite (242, or 248 stick) next time :rolleyes:

Use a torch to take it apart. You won't hurt the spring steel as long as you direct the torch at the bolt heads, and don't quench the thing with water while it's hot.

If it was ultra-critical that it didn't get hot, it wouldn't even be near a friction surface like the clutch anyway. Just don't dump ice-water on it. The surrounding material will not get to 600 degrees - just the bolt. The pressure plate will disperse what heat it takes like a sink.

Mild steel turns a bright purple color around 570 degree's. Do a search online for a steel color/temp chart.

GD