Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a taste ..of my Coupes Restoration Work

Anyone who knows anything about restoration..knows its the little things that make the biggest impact.. So far I have been working on the trunk on the car..mainly the trunk rack..Faded wooden slats..rust bubbles under it..One bad spot where the main rack attaches.. My husband ..a carpenter..looked at the wood and said there is absolutely nothing wrong with it but its just sun faded and weathered. So ...4 coats of cherry stain..and here is a taste. Going to water seal them yet.

Too bad my coupe will look like it has silver chicken pox by Carlisle ..but..the paint is so faded that I wont be able to match..so it will be getting a complete repaint at some point.

Anyway..small taste ( these were pretty much white from the weather):

LBCoupe014.jpg

LBCoupe015.jpg

I think you can get an idea from this shot how they looked before:

LBCoupe011.jpg

On the sedans as well but thats the subaru badge with stars. Im refering to the actual subaru lettering on the far right. Both hers and mine is shot. I cant explain however why the trunk one is shot and the lettering on the fenders on mine looks new.

Nice Job, Great Finish!

... ...its the little things that make the biggest impact.. ...

Yes, it`s True, I Like the Way your Subie Looks, Really. Is a Very Nice Coupe! :burnout:

For the faded Paint, if it is not Completely faded, you can do a Polishment, to improve its look: using White Rubbing Compound and a Special Soft Polisher, doing slow Circles to avoid "Burn" the Paint -it means: Leave Polisher Marks- and it can look Soo good, almost like new, just more whiter than it originally was... if there Aren`t scratches or hits; and if after polishment results are Good enough, you can cover all the Paint with Clear coat, and polish it too.

You won`t Believe the Results. But that only Works on Painted Surfaces that are uniformly faded.

Thanks guys... I so love this coupe..Jeszek..I have been repairing some "imprefections" in the trunk area around the rack..causing the use of rust bullet and primer....Ideally I would like to spray a coat of blue over the primer so it wont be as noticeable.

Car goes to detailer Friday to be compounded and buffed and shined..Just trying to make it good for the Carlisle Import Show...after that the real work will begin...

Did I mention how much I love this coupe??? Dont know if I told anyone yet.:grin::

LBCoupe004.jpg

Shame to say.. I am actually looking forward to the yellow tetinus carrier to be GONE!!!

it does look good, and you are making it look even better but you are gonna cause greavance with these 2 statements you have made

"but..the paint is so faded that I wont be able to match..so it will be getting a complete repaint at some point."

and the last statement

" Car goes to detailer Friday to be compounded and buffed and shined..Just trying to make it good for the Carlisle Import Show...after that the real work will beginof

"

Never put wax on a car before you are planning to get any paint work done to it........ask a autobody person on this one and they can show you why....or tell you why...and not just because it fills the sandpaper, but it causes fish eyes....etc...and flaking paint sometime down the road...trust me......don't go get the thing buffed/waxed....

... ..rust bubbles under it.. ...

You got to be careful with those Rust Bubbles...

Your Subie Looks Great! it seems to be in a Very Nice Condition, that coupe is one of my Favourite Subaru Models Ever.

Excuse me: What is the Meaning of "I am actually looking forward to the yellow tetinus carrier to be GONE!!!"???

it does look good, and you are making it look even better but you are gonna cause greavance with these 2 statements you have made

"but..the paint is so faded that I wont be able to match..so it will be getting a complete repaint at some point."

and the last statement

" Car goes to detailer Friday to be compounded and buffed and shined..Just trying to make it good for the Carlisle Import Show...after that the real work will beginof

"

Never put wax on a car before you are planning to get any paint work done to it........ask a autobody person on this one and they can show you why....or tell you why...and not just because it fills the sandpaper, but it causes fish eyes....etc...and flaking paint sometime down the road...trust me......don't go get the thing buffed/waxed....

It will not be getting repainted till next year...and I know about the not waxing etc before a paint job..

Jeszek..the frame is bad on the XT6..its getting stripped this weekend and sent to the scrap heap..Not a safe car to have on the road...too much rust.

Excuse me: What is the Meaning of "I am actually looking forward to the yellow tetinus carrier to be GONE!!!"???

Tetanus refers to a sickness one can get from getting infected with rust, like a rusty nail or something cutting or piercing the skin. It has to do with muscles and contractions and such. Im no doctor and ive never gotten infected so i dont know the specifics. The yellow tetanus carrier she is refering to is Rocky, her XT6. Its rotted bad.

I believe its spelled "tetanus".

Nasty stuff too :-\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

Tell the detailers not to go to far on the claybar. Its going to remove more paint and just might go to the primer.

Claybar "should" not ever cause paint damage. A claybar glides on a ultra thin plane of lubricant (quick detailer, etc...) and lifts the impurities in the paint surface out. By claying, you make the surface as smooth as it possibly could be in preparation for polish.

Bucky!!!

ALL paint colors can now be matched. Any good shop will take your paint code number, feed it into the mix computer, and get the formula. Some shops look it up in these big catalogs they use. ('One part 2106, two parts 3388', etc.)

Thanks for the replies and explaination...I had to run out the door for work.

I know they can match the "original" color paint ..no problem..But its faded pretty bad on top..Thats what i am worried about.

As for the XT6..I have been working on breaking the attachment to it..going to make it easier to go to the crusher...( I really havent called it by its name in at least a week)

They can "scan" the color on your car and make a custom color or find the closest match to it. I never did it, but I know the technology exist, ask around at paint and restauration shops, they are bound to know who/where.

Yea but even with that its still not going to be "perfect" unless she paint entire panels. Ive done enough paint work to know that even if the color matches perfectly its damn hard to blend it into 20+ year old existing paint.