Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Know a guy who will sell me an 96 2.2 Outback motor for $150. He says it had a ticking noise, so they replaced with another 2.2 he had with fewer miles. That motor had the same tick, so they removed the lifters and "pumped them up in oil", which resolved the issue. He thinks thats all this motor needs as well...Does this sound right? Oh, 114,000 miles on it...

i'd look into it, but i'd probably offer him $100 as you are taking a risk by buying this thing. EJ engines are cheap around me, so maybe the market where you are is different? last one i bought had 100,000 miles, ran perfect, from a yard, with a warranty for $150.

i'd look into it, but i'd probably offer him $100 as you are taking a risk by buying this thing. EJ engines are cheap around me, so maybe the market where you are is different? last one i bought had 100,000 miles, ran perfect, from a yard, with a warranty for $150.

Here in New England any motor from a yard with a warranty $600. > $1500. depending on the motor. If you try to haggle they just shut ya down. They say if no one buys it then it gets scrapped which is why he has the car to begin with. Bone yards here sux.:dead:

FYI I had one delived in the Pittsburgh area (97 2.2) for 275 - 6 month warranty (last engine was bad), And frequently get them delivered for 300with 90-100 day warranty delivered.

Today I splurged and had to pay 350 for one with 99k since the folks that sent me the bad engine didn't have any more. I love doing a job twice.

Valves on 1&3 were bent, Intake valves actually hit the pistons.

Guess this is the good part of living in the rust belt. It suz to work on the cars with all the rust on the nuts/bolts but mechanicals are reasonably priced.

Dave

Here in New England any motor from a yard with a warranty $600. > $1500. depending on the motor.
nah, here's one in your area for $200 (actually they have 2 if you want some spares): 1-800-243-6554

EJ22's and EJ25's are not comparable. both of your vehicles are EJ25 equipped vehicles. those engines are more expensive and harder to get. i can sell those for $500 with blown headgaskets and $1,000 with good headgaskets, i wouldn't let those go for cheap either. the demand is too high due to the headgasket issues.

EJ25's = easy to sell, high demand, high prices.

EJ22's = hard to get rid of.

EJ18's and EJ22's are a dime a dozen due to their lack of issues.

I have had success in getting rid of lifter noise using a can of Rislone added to the oil. The engine was a Dodge, not a Subaru. The Rislone sold me on its ability to quiet down a motor. Subsequent oil changes, were without Rislone. The motor continued to be quiet for a long time.

I took a chance, figured if the guy was trying to rip me off he wouldn't have mentioned the lifter noise in the first place. The motor was just too clean to say no to, even the hoses still look like new. :banana:

I agree with your logic in that he wouldn't have told you about the lifter noise if he was trying to rip you off. The guy appears to "be up front" with you. I bet the motor is going to be okay.