Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires/wheels

86'GL wagon. What other wheels will bolt right up? What size tire [tall] can I go to with the original wheels and no lift? What tire can I go to without compromising mileage or performance?

If you don’t want to compromise fuel mileage, install the skinniest tires available with the least aggressive tread. Bald narrow tires are the best, but not the safest. The have less rolling resistance.

My White Wagon Got 195/70 R 13" ... and My Yellow Wagon Got Fat 205/65 R 13" ... No Problem with That, the 205 Handles Way much Better, but are Less Tall that the 195, `cos the "/70" Factor. (Heigh)

I Think that 205/70 should Work fine, if you could Find that size... But I shall say that my Wagons got Improved Coil Springs (Front of Ford Tempo, Rear from Honda) so, in a "Standard" Subie, that Tyre Size can hit the Underneath Plastic at the Front.

I did used 205/60 Before the Coil Springs Change without any Problems, They`re Fat but not much tall.