Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Leak

Ok i just went out to check everything out and i cant find anything. There is coolant leaking im pretty sure of it because my overflow bottle was empty and the radiator was 1/4 low but beyond that i dont know where its leaking. I let it warm up for 10 minutes, didnt see anything coming out of the block, I squeezed the hoses and nothing leaked. When it was warm i didnt see anything coming out of the radiator, i was pretty sure i was looking at the waterpump and i didnt see anything leaking there either. Any suggestions.

Ben

that's exactly what I was referring to.. no start. no start push pedal and start.

we have the same issue.

now we have to decide what it is.

are you MPFI??

nope spfi but that wouldnt be coolant related though. What would that half to do with starting.

Ben

what would matter is if you had a carb.

see opening the throttle causes the computer to pump in less fuel

it's a mode for clearing a flooded cylinder with coolant in the combustion chamber it's flooded... apparently the lesser fuel allows the car to start.

I had a coolant smell for sure once right after a cold start.

but I only noticed it once.

if I am right you should have a ticking lifter next.

see, I also think I have a little coolant in the oil. I only assume this though, because the level went up inspite of an oil leak.

i had this on my wagon as well, turned out to be a leaky intake manifold gasket which was slowly leaking coolant down into the plug socket on cyl 3, fouling the plug and getting into the cylinder. replaced intake gaskets, problem solved. just try not to get too much water in the cylinders when you remove the intake manifold, and then when you go to fire it up after the gasket fix, do the first crank without spark plugs, that way any water that finds it's way into the cylinders will be ejected out the spark plug holes, and won't hydrolock your engine :dead: :dead: :dead:

chris

intake gaskets are rather common to fail. they are very easy to replace (assuming they don't seize or break...which is common).

the next bet is probably a head gasket, much more involved to fix but EA82's are easy enough to do (air tools FTW).

are you guys refilling with coolant or water? water is harder to see if you're refilling with that and checking for leaks. coolant is easier to see and makes more smoke. there's a water bypass hose for the water pump, throttle body hose (which i always remove) heater core hoses, heater core...and a few other hoses to check. most of them aren't in great shape at 20+ years old.

ok what do i need to be checking if its a manifold gasket or a head gasket. I dont have any smoke and the only indication that theres even a problem is this coolant leak. I know ive got an oil leak but i dont know if theres oil in the coolant. I need to change the oil or check the dipstick.

Ben

p.s. ea82 fuelinjected

I checked the dipstick and the oil is lighter brown and kind of thin.

intake leak shouldn't show up on a compression test.

head leak most likely would. (I think)

oh and I did use coolant the first time. but it is pricey.... so now I've been using water...

I checked the dipstick and the oil is lighter brown and kind of thin.

intake leak shouldn't show up on a compression test.

head leak most likely would. (I think)

oh and I did use coolant the first time. but it is pricey.... so now I've been using water...

Im useing coolant, its daylight now so im goinna get ready for work early and get the temp up to see if ic an see anything then and go from there. Ive got a line on a lowmile motor but i dont know whats more cost effective. Replace the motor, or reseal the one ove got.

Ben

how many miles are on ur xt

and it sat close to a year with bad timing belts before I got it about 2 months ago

I'd look for a low mile engine too, but I am buying the EJ25 in june.

the annual XT dragon meet is also in june.

so I guess I'll do the intake now. and if it doesn't fix it, I'll be blowing her up on the dragon... lol.

:headbang:

that stinks man. its to bad you werent close to connie she had an xt6 she was just parting out with a good motor. I had my oil changed a couple days ago and i said look for coolant and they found none. Im sill leaking a bit but im not sure where its from. I think mines a waterpump gasket but i cant be sure. If i tear it off ive got to tear off a bunch of other stuff which means i might as well do a bunch of other stuff and so on and so on.

Ben