Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Muffler questions

After some searching I see that I have joined the ranks of Subaru board members with tail pipes that are rusting off. So, here's the question...

I can replace the muffler if I go to my local NAPA and buy a new one that basically replaces the muffler back to the nearest joint. They don't have any other option than that for my 86 wagon. Its about $80 for the cheap version. I have been seeing people talking about replacing their mufflers with Thrush and Cherry Bombs and I was wondering if you can get that chunk that is BEFORE the muffler or is is just a matter of sawing the muffler off exhaust pipe and throwing a new straight pipe on there and basically just rig something up?

I'm pretty willing to just jump in an try it (I did some custom drilling to get those Impreza seats in my GL) but I thought I'd see what some more experienced folks have to say.

Thanks

I know what you mean. You need about 2 or 3 feet of bent pipe in front of the muffler as well as a new muffler. I was in your exact situation. What i did was buy a Dynomax Superturbo muffler for about 50 bucks and have an exhaust shop such as monro or midus custom install it for you. It didnt cost me all that much to have them do mine. If i remember right it was about 40 bucks. That was cheaper than factory for me cause the cheapest i could find at the time was 200 something.