Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since I got the mountain bike and have been using the piss out of it, time to dress up the car alittle.

I ordered up some bike trays from Rocky Mounts. These things are awesome, they fit on the stock luggage rack and dont cost an arm and a leg ($85 per tray).

DSC01286.JPG

The tray didnt quite fit right... it sat too far back and kept me from opening my rear hatch. I had to reverse the top mount to scoot the tray forward a couple inches. That still didnt give me enough room so I had to slightly modify the front rail in order to move it 2" farther forward. That gave me just enough room to open the rear hatch without a bike on the tray, which is good enough for me :)

I got a second tray I will install this weekend incase I need to tote a friend with me.

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01287.JPG

Well now that the bike trays are there, I gotta have something that sais I use it, even if there isn't a bike in it. So I got me some more decals to help fill in the blank window space on my car :) Got them in the mail yesterday and quickly went out to see what would look best. This is what I came up with:

DSC01300.JPG

DSC01305.JPG

DSC01304.JPG

-Brian

Looks nice, But is holland really the only country where we just put the bikes on the back on the tow-hook?? Its so much easier not to have it put on the roof.

What stuff is on the bike. Doing lot of mountain biking myself (and stop laughing that holland is a flat country :lol:) Germany has nice areas although lots of forest from my house already.

Did the Lake garda 601 (italy) couple of times on my Bulls 7005 hardtail. And now i got a Cannondale prophet so i want to go there again.

btw

that car is so nice looking (ok have the same without the gap in the hood :mad:

Looks nice, But is holland really the only country where we just put the bikes on the back on the tow-hook?? Its so much easier not to have it put on the roof.

Don't visit the PNW with those racks, at least don't take a WS ferry. We did and got hit with an oversize vehicle charge that was worth more than the bike we had on the roof! :-\

Don't visit the PNW with those racks, at least don't take a WS ferry. We did and got hit with an oversize vehicle charge that was worth more than the bike we had on the roof! :-\

They tried that to me as well once, but i stayed within the 6 meter (car) length. They did not agree so i waved with a tape measure and 5 guys appeared of course i knew it was only 5.96 so they were pissed off haha.

So just check next time the length rules.

Alot of vehicles in the US use the tow hitch racks, however my legacy does not have a tow hitch and I have no desire to install one. The cost of the hitch assembly itself would be more than the two trays together, and then add in the cost of the rack assembly... its just way too much to be spending. Besides, i think it looks better with the bike on top :) My bike is real light, i can lift it ontop of the roof with one hand.

What stuff is on the bike. Doing lot of mountain biking myself (and stop laughing that holland is a flat country :lol:) Germany has nice areas although lots of forest from my house already.

The bike is a 2000 Specialized FSR Enduro Comp. It has Manitou Black Elite front fork, adjustable from 80mm to 100mm with adjustable rebound & dampening. Everything else is pretty much stock. Shimano XT derailers. It has Hayes HFX-9 front and rear disc brakes. Im about to purchase a new rear shock and im either getting the Fox Float RP2 or the RP23.

I think the UK guys are referring to the old style, strap, and hook back mounted racks. We had one back in the 80's but it kept loosening, and scratching the paint. So we went with the rood rack style.

Looks really good man. Makes me miss my ol Specialized Rockhopper!

Ah yeah those types. I used one of those back in the day. It was my ex-girlfriends and it worked great for haulin the bikes to the trail and back... but it was a hassle to put on and take off everytime. That, and the front wheel was free to move and bounce around... plus, it would hide my new decals :)

Don't mean to be a kill joy, but why didn't you just mount the trays backwards. Then you wouldn't have to modify the rails. Personally, I think the roof mounts are more secure than the hitch mounts. I got hit from the rear once and the car rode up my hitch mount rack. If I had my bike on the car I would have been out of a 1200.o road bike. I'd rather use the roof mount.

Nice. I wonder if the patent lawyer from Yakima has paid a visit to that bike rack company :lol:

Your bike and wagon are way too clean. Let's see a post-ride picture. I see you live in "no rust" California where you can see the sun. A white, spotless 94ish turbo wagon. Sweet. Stay away from the mountain lions...

It looks spotless from a distance but up close there are plenty of dings and dents all over the car :(

And i could have just mounted the rack backwards, but IMO that would look really gay.

I would get post ride pix, but usually i bike w/out my camera. Maybe this weekend I'll snap some off :)