Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In need of some serious help (56k go for a drive)

ok so i recently purchased my 86 gl wagon and it needed a clutch and altenator after replacing them (and then taking the engine out becuase i fubared the clutch install and had to fix it) the car will not start it was running after i switched out everything but when i had to take the motor out to do the clutch again then put it back in it will turn over but no go on starting. im guessing it has something to do with the carb vacume lines because its gettin gas but it seems to much gas imo. so heres pics of the engine with and without the air filter box tell me if you guys can spot anything and i would be more than willing to happily pay anyone for time and gas if they could come help me get this thing going becuase ive been without a car for 2 weeks now :dead: so i need some help bad thanks guys!

Is it getting spark? Is the choke closed? Did you flood it? (install new plugs, or dry the old ones)

That hose to nowhere you mentioned, is it the one on the air cleaner? That one looks like it goes to the valve cover.

There is one hose coming form the aircleaner theat just points down at the drivers side head. Connects to nothing. Looks like the one in pic. should go on the forwardmost outlet on driver sidfe of aircleaner.

As far as not starting. Do you have spark???? have you checked all the fuses? espescially the hazard/horn/clock fuse? and the Eninge meter fuses?

Double check disty and coil connection. I would think if you had spark and alot of fuel, it would at least sputter. Verify spark and then check back.

Went over and helped out today. Had good spark but fuel was shooting out the carb. Pulled the timingbelt covers off (replaced recently) and found timing was off. Fired right up after correcting, even on 3 cyl (oops).

Now he just needs to replace the bad axle he just got from the parts store :rolleyes: We'll get this Soob on the road yet.

And if we can just get him to delete the pics now.....;)

well its almost there its kinda disheartening to watch a 65 dollar part spin in circles and not do anything tho (drive axle brand new)

Maybe you got a 25 spline turbo axle??? if so the hole in it is too big. You need a 23 spline axle

How did he do that? Improper installation?

GD

Just a guess, (forgive me if I'm wrong) I'll bet he installed the roll pin before bolting the axle through the knuckle and bolting the whole knuckle back into place.

Then while wrestling the knuckle the axle got stretched too far.

Remeber kids, the roll pin should be the first thing out and the last thing in when changing Suby axles.

Just a guess, (forgive me if I'm wrong) I'll bet he installed the roll pin before bolting the axle through the knuckle and bolting the whole knuckle back into place.

Then while wrestling the knuckle the axle got stretched too far.

Remeber kids, the roll pin should be the first thing out and the last thing in when changing Suby axles.

Wow, so the ball bearings can ride over the spring clip that sits in the end of the DOJ ???

If all else fails and you want some decent axles.... www.cvaxles.com Just got a pair for mine and they even come all painted black - Jagger would be jumpin jack flash :lol:

Steve

Steve