Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Considering 08 Legacy 3.0R... Please share your opinions

Hello - I am new to USMB and am considering replacing my current car (06 Volkswagen GLI) with an '08 Subaru Legacy 3.0R. I have some questions and could use your advice!

I am looking to get out of the GLI because at 30k, it burns oil, it's been in the shop a lot for little things, it's an early build and several major parts have been redesigned due to inadequate life (and I have to hope that they fail inside warranty), and the overall longevity is questionable. I want something rock-solid that I can take good care of and have it reward me with long trouble-free life.

I live in Texas, so I really don't need AWD but of all cars, this Subaru, and the Lexus IS250 RWD appeal to me the most.

* How will the reliability compare to a Lexus?

* Is the gas mileage as bad as it seems?? 17 city / 24 hwy

* What common problems does this car have with the H6 engine?

* Can I expect 200-250k miles if I wanted to own it that long?

* Will it be in the shop a lot for little things, like VW?

* Will replacing the speakers (but keeping everything else stock) make a big difference in audio quality, which seems a bit lacking?

Thanks for your insight... It's a gorgeous car, the right size, with a perfectly balanced engine. I guess the gas mileage is my only reservation, since in Texas I can get by with a more efficient RWD vehicle.

Also if anyone in the Houston area reads this, is one dealership better than another?

Thanks, Stephen

The 3.0 Legacys really are amazing cars, and you would be doing yourself a real favor by dumping the VW for one. I do like the newer Lexus's also, but I've gotten to the point where I don't think I could not have the AWD for daily driving, and my faith in Toyota's reliability has wavered somewhat lately.

I'll try an answer your questions as best as I can. Others here can probably give more input.

* How will the reliability compare to a Lexus?

I remember reading last year in Consumer Reports that Subaru has actually overtaken toyota as far as reliability is concerned. The new H6 engines are also amazing as far as performance and reliability.

* Is the gas mileage as bad as it seems?? 17 city / 24 hwy

While AWD Subaru's are really not comparable to econo-boxes as far as gas milage goes, I would expect more than that with everyday driving if you can control your right foot.

* What common problems does this car have with the H6 engine?

I don't believe there are any as far as I know.

* Can I expect 200-250k miles if I wanted to own it that long

Depends on how well you maintain it. The car is certainly up to it.

* Will it be in the shop a lot for little things, like VW?

From most others experiences, you shouldn't be unless you happen to get a rare lemon

Thanks, Stephen

I drive a 3.0D and i LOVE it. Awesome motor, plenty of torque and loves to be revved out.

My gas mileage is pretty good and is a lot better than any turbo Subaru ive seen.

From what i know the 3 liters are generally the high spec models with all the electric goodies so theyre sweet inside.

Have also raced a 3.0R legacy (on a track) and there was no contest - he hauled rump roast and left me for dead.

your kidding! "subaru has taken over toyota as far as reliability is concerned"......i had no idea....thats pretty impressive...:)

Yup, thats what I thought when I was reading that issue of consumer reports. Subaru was ranked in second place, behind honda, and ahead of toyota.

Instead of listing a bunch answers, let me assure you that each answer would be the positive one ;)

One thing: The H6 is likely to burn some amount of oil, like any "modern" engine does. The oil is thin and the piston cooling jets ensure that some oil is carried close to the combustion chamber. This means a small oil consumption....much smaller than the VW. Don't VW approve up to one quart per 600 miles?

Subaru will accept 2 quarts per 7000 miles.

Let us know what you decide - the Lexus is nice too :)