Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The 4" lift of the 85 Brat GL begins pics now on page 2

well, here it all sits. 4 pics of the start of it all located here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20565&cat=500&ppuser=14357

lift kit all ready to go in, painted in POR-15

Skyjacker Shocks

Pugs that are about 3/4 the way to being polished to my liking.

Rear LSD to go in soon too.

So, yeah, my Brat sits, with the parts next to it. It is getting aquainted tonight..:banana: and tomorrow they will be one.

Mick and I worked on it about 6 or 7 hours. He had to take off, cause it was getting on into the evening. I still have the front strut spacers to put in (i worked on it for a few after mick left, no luck) I may have to get different front tower spacers.

Stuff to finish up:

rear exhaust hangs down.

shifter housing needs mod'd or the slop shifter fix

need a longer curved top radiator hose

shorten bottom hose

tigthen steering joint bolts

put on front brake extensions

reattach AC bracket I have yet to make, but can make now i know what it needs

tires

and about a dozen other things.

was a good time...

it's so nice working on a rust free vehicle :)

I think with any of the different strut extensions you still need to beat in the inner strut tower walls for clearance...

the ones you have may even need less than the others...

I think it would look best with the 215's on it :)

but I do think you'll have to accept a little bit 'o trimming :)

It looks like the best option to me for shifter workability for all gears is to heat bend the shifter shaft lever. I think with a torch down below, heat the middle, and have someone inside slowly bend to normal position while its all heated up, so neutral is back to where it once was. I took the interior trim cover off and still cannot hit 2, 4th, or R., and it looks like with a 2 inch bend it will be okay but I am not fully sure?

Yeah, definitely the rust-free ness of this Brat helped on all the bolts coming loose with nothing breaking, no captive nuts coming loose or cross threaded bolts, etc. It was the oil leakage mess that was the worst which caused big dirtyness.

Everybody, Mick is a terrific helpful hand, and he gave up a whole day, drove the distance, and was the kind of help that I needed. I want to thank him very much. Even his boy helped keep tools near us when we couldn't quite reach them. Looks like we are almost done adding this to the many already lifted rigs.

Glad things worked out ok. Wish i would of been able to come and help but u know how it goes. Yes mick is a devoted subaru man, he is way to giving of his time. Im sure there is a linkage adaptor or something people use on here since there are so many lifted rigs. You would think when they enginered those lifts they would compensate for any types of customization. What are u talking about trimming. Fenders or the inner wheel well.

Ben

Well, on Sunday I completed more of this, got the front brake extensions on, BFH'd banged the humps to clear the struts, the front upper strut extensions installed, a AC bracket to hold the compressor instead of a board and metal tube holding it up. Got the lower radiator hose trimmed and fastened. Also made a make-shift "lightweight aluminum support bar that now holds the skid plate back on. It will be the perfect model for something more beefy, or else I can reinforce the flimsy ness of this one.

I am not going to be happy with the \ / of the front tires, it is not as bad as _> \ / but it is enough I am not going to like the way it wears tires or bearings. I also noticed SJR went to the same style as mine for the extenders (is there another company that make a proper extender for the EA81 Brats?), was hoping they still had the one piece alloy ones, so I am going to be looking for advice on that. As it sits, the lift plates pull the top of the struts in at the top, to the point they are almost rubbing the outer frame, i did bash them in some. So, with the camber as it is, i do not see an easy fix, as the struts are already inward at the top about as much as possible. I could be overlooking something.

Still need to buy a longer top radiator hose to clear the snorkus, as i don't want to hack off the cold air vacuum of it. Have not purchased tires yet.

i banged more and elongated the mounting holes for the strut tops.

and i really mean banged.you have to massage that inner fender well pretty hard.your not going to hurt anything.except you maybe:lol: .but don't do that either.keep on bangin.thats what i say.cheers, brian

Well, on Sunday I completed more of this, got the front brake extensions on, BFH'd banged the humps to clear the struts, the front upper strut extensions installed, a AC bracket to hold the compressor instead of a board and metal tube holding it up. Got the lower radiator hose trimmed and fastened. Also made a make-shift "lightweight aluminum support bar that now holds the skid plate back on. It will be the perfect model for something more beefy, or else I can reinforce the flimsy ness of this one.

I am not going to be happy with the \ / of the front tires, it is not as bad as _> \ / but it is enough I am not going to like the way it wears tires or bearings. I also noticed SJR went to the same style as mine for the extenders (is there another company that make a proper extender for the EA81 Brats?), was hoping they still had the one piece alloy ones, so I am going to be looking for advice on that. As it sits, the lift plates pull the top of the struts in at the top, to the point they are almost rubbing the outer frame, i did bash them in some. So, with the camber as it is, i do not see an easy fix, as the struts are already inward at the top about as much as possible. I could be overlooking something.

Still need to buy a longer top radiator hose to clear the snorkus, as i don't want to hack off the cold air vacuum of it. Have not purchased tires yet.

did you jump on the front bumper a bit to settle the suspension after letting it down?

mine always look a lot worse right after I let it down off the lift, but then it settles.

I've found rolling the car forward and back several feet a couple of times will even out your front camber, and you can see what it ACTUALLY is.

Honestly though, if you are going to freak about a bit of some positive camber, you lifted the wrong kinda rig! I've NEVER seen a lifted Subaru that didn't have some whack front camber.

Also, keep in mind that the camber of the front wheels was positive to begin with (stock). So lifting and adding larger wheel/tires exaggerates whats already there.

Update. looks like the front settled down, good.

Last night I got most of the rest of the stuff done.

new flexi top radiator hose, sectioned in with a short piece of the old, no kinks, no rubs on the snorkus of the air cleaner.

Brake booster vac line extended

Bled the Brakes, so now my new front brake lines are good.

Got a start to the shifter slop fix, and still have to finish that, then heat bend the shifter lever forward a couple inches. tranny ground wire still needs spliced, but I am leaving the easiest part to the last :) well, except for changing the exhaust, which now is pressed up against the mustache bar/ torsion bar.

I am dropping off my wheels today for mounting of 205/75/15 those won't require trimming, beating or bashing. next size up would be questionable. This size will make it a little better driver on the highway, yet very capable on a trail. I plan to take the car out this 3 day weekend.

Pics to be posted soon with the new tires.

i just poured in the antifreeze and got the beast started up. Just need to "heat bend" the shifter lever and its good to drive.....

will post many more pics later. also going to put together the LSD this weekend. will be trail worthy after.

New MWE axles 2 weeks ago fronts. new ball joints same.

anyone got a nice easy trail for a beginner? within 300 miles drive

anyone got a nice easy trail for a beginner? within 300 miles drive

find some grade B roads near a river in your area....

otherwise, in Sept. (2nd weekend) there's going to be the event in Castana Iowa. perfect place for a soob, plenty of easy trails. and you don't need to come back looking like my Brat does :)

there is going to be an "open" even near the end of june, at the place the JOCCI club goes to, but I've never been there. there's definitely a lot harder stuff there....