Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt and everything else...

My 1993 Loyale has 117K on it. At 120K the timing belts are due. My clutch is also in need of replacement as it slips with aggressive highway acceleration. I also have leaks in the engine that leave a nice puddle wherever I park.

I got a quote for $600 for the clutch work to be done. I never asked about the timing belt though. My first timing belt replacement at 60K set me back over $1200 at the dealer when they originally quoted me $600.

I would like to do a complete reseal, timing belt and clutch replacement with the engine out of the car. Should I also replace the water pump? What is the typical life of the stock water pump on EA82 engines?

Does anyone have any idea where to get a good quality parts? I don't need the highest end parts, just the most reliable.

I am not one of the people here that can do it all in 6 hours. I will be dedicating a week for this as I am not sure if the flywheel will need to be resurfaced.

I have the Haynes manual as well as the pdf files for the service manual. Any other tips from the experienced people here?

I would like to do a complete reseal, timing belt and clutch replacement with the engine out of the car. Should I also replace the water pump? What is the typical life of the stock water pump on EA82 engines?

Yes - always replace the water pump at every other timing belt interval.

Does anyone have any idea where to get a good quality parts? I don't need the highest end parts, just the most reliable.

All parts are inferior to the OEM. Dealership = most reliable.

I am not one of the people here that can do it all in 6 hours. I will be dedicating a week for this as I am not sure if the flywheel will need to be resurfaced.

Probably wise to dedicate some time, but you won't need to resurface the flywheel. Just thow in a new disc and plate and it will be fine.

I have the Haynes manual as well as the pdf files for the service manual. Any other tips from the experienced people here?

For what you are doing - pull the engine. It will save time. When you reseal it do the oil pump seals and check the oil pump internals are within spec. Replace the front main, cam seals, and cam o-rings. Replace the valve cover gaskets with new ones, and replace the oil pan gasket with a new one coated in RTV. Replace the entire timing belt set - both belts, both tensioners, and the cogged idler.

Many of us run without belt covers - you can make your own judgement, and you can search out the debate in other forum topics if you like. Suffice to say the timing belt job is 3 hours with the covers on, and 20 minutes with them off.

GD