Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Intake relocation failed (HELP)

Pooparu

So what I basically did was I put little filters on all four spots where the hoses connected to the bottom of the stock intake tube, then just got a 6” straight pipe and some fittings to relocate the intake to where the spare tire was.

Well I put it all together and what’s happening is I’ll start it up and it’ll run fine for about 5-10 seconds then die.

Any ideas on why, and how can I make this work?

Intake_4.jpg

Intake_3.jpg

Intake_1.jpg

Intake_2.jpg

You can't - on fuel injected engines the crankcase is part of the manifold vacuum system - that's how the PCV works, and the air circulateing through the whole system is metered by the MAF. It's a closed system and each of the little filters you added is a vacuum leak.

A carburetor is what's known as a "demand feed" system. It's entirely dependant on manifold vacuum to "pull" in air and fuel.

Fuel injection is not demand driven - the ECU introduces fuel based entirely on the air passing by the MAF sensor. Thus a closed system is needed or you are pulling air (past the rings, ect) from places other than through the MAF sensor. All those filters are supplying "unmetered" air to the engine and the ECU is cutting the fuel down based on an incorrect MAF signal - result being the engine dies from lack of fuel. The initial cold-start enrichment is the only thing keeping it running for the first few seconds.

GD

Your IAC valve needs to be conneted to your intake pre MAF. This valve is on your pass side of the trottle body.

IAC = Idle Air Control

With the intake like that you will get a strange loud humming noise which may turn out to be a PITA like it was for me. It only goes away above 1500rpm or so.

So if I found a way to hook all 4 of those lines up to that 6" pipe it should work right?

You can't - on fuel injected engines the crankcase is part of the manifold vacuum system - that's how the PCV works, and the air circulateing through the whole system is metered by the MAF. It's a closed system and each of the little filters you added is a vacuum leak.

A carburetor is what's known as a "demand feed" system. It's entirely dependant on manifold vacuum to "pull" in air and fuel.

Fuel injection is not demand driven - the ECU introduces fuel based entirely on the air passing by the MAF sensor. Thus a closed system is needed or you are pulling air (past the rings, ect) from places other than through the MAF sensor. All those filters are supplying "unmetered" air to the engine and the ECU is cutting the fuel down based on an incorrect MAF signal - result being the engine dies from lack of fuel. The initial cold-start enrichment is the only thing keeping it running for the first few seconds.

GD

Your IAC valve needs to be conneted to your intake pre MAF. This valve is on your pass side of the trottle body.

IAC = Idle Air Control

With the intake like that you will get a strange loud humming noise which may turn out to be a PITA like it was for me. It only goes away above 1500rpm or so.

I agree its your IAC hose it needs to go in the intake pipe so the MASS air flow reads air flow .

you should be able to get away with the cover filters but why risk durt getting in your engine when hose is cheep and it works . looks cool tho :)

The location of that filter is not really that great. You're sucking in hot underhood air through the cone. Definitely not an improvement from the airbox that at least gets air from the fender that's 40+ degrees cooler. I would suggest running a long smooth pipe from from the TB to inside the fender and put the cone there.

The location of that filter is not really that great. You're sucking in hot underhood air through the cone. Definitely not an improvement from the airbox that at least gets air from the fender that's 40+ degrees cooler. I would suggest running a long smooth pipe from from the TB to inside the fender and put the cone there.

I'm trying to accomplish 2 things. One, keep it from sucking up gobs of water when I'm hitting mud puddles and two keep it cooler. I wanted to add a hood scoop to help the cooler part out, but I need to figure out if this relocation thing is going to work before I go cutting a hole in my hood and adding a scoop. I'll just put it back to stock until I can get a pipe made. It's not a big deal right now.

Any ideas on why, and how can I make this work?

Intake_4.jpg

Intake_3.jpg

Intake_1.jpg

Intake_2.jpg

If you plug the PCV and put the filter over the IAC line it would work. But you'd have no real *ventilation* of the crankcase other than the *breather* filters.

You can leave the two breathers on the valve covers alone if you want and plug the other hose off. But the big hose to the IAC needs to be plumbed back into the pipe you have after the MAF sensor. The IAC is pulling unmetered air, that's why it won't idle.

+1 on the IAC having to be hooked up to the intake AFTER he MAF but before the throttle body.

Deleting the PCV system is a bad idea.:dead:

I think I'll have a 6" pipe made and have nubs to hook all the hoses back up.