Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE (Coolant Fans running Continuously)

for those who have been following my problem... I went to the subaru dealer and mentioned I installed a new coolant sensor and new thermostat with no change ...(the fans just keep on turning)...off the start the mechanic in training said most likely the A/C fluid could be low and would also make the fans to run continously...a few minutes later after useing his laser temp gun, he returned and said the problem was the thermostat, which was slightly closed, thus causeing both cooling fans to stay on and being able to keep the temperature at normal.... also, what complicated the situation is the replacement of the thermostat...I went from one "slightly closed" thermostat to another mal-functioning thermo right out of the box...well, that makes 3 subaru thermostats all from different places for the year (22K mi), but all is well now...

[...]I went from one "slightly closed" thermostat to another mal-functioning thermo right out of the box...well, that makes 3 subaru thermostats all from different places for the year (22K mi), but all is well now...
Just to be certain, are you saying that three OEM Subaru thermostats have failed (or been initially bad) within one year?

Just to be certain, are you saying that three OEM Subaru thermostats have failed (or been initially bad) within one year?
..to clarify... all OEM..1 yr ago original thermo with 40k mi started to run cold and was replaced(#1)...that replacment with 22k mi of driving was replaced again (#2) and it ran cold Out of the box(last week) and then again yesterday (#3) after coming from the dealer..hopefully #3 will work

I would begin to suspect something else is at fault...
It does seem a bit more than coincidental thermostat failures would explain.

I assume this is on the '01 OB. Has it had "conditioner" used on the cooling system? If so, how much and how often?

Have you tried testing the suspect thermostats?

Boil them up in a saucepan of water, and watch them open up... A bit like cooking mussels from the beach.

That's the general idea, but even if they open at 212 degs F or so, it won't determine correct operation. To do it properly requires a thermometer that covers the opening range, and both the thermometer and thermostat should be suspended in the water, not touching the side or bottom of the container. Heat the water, and note at what temp the stat begins to open, and at what point it's fully open. If working correctly, it should start opening a bit under or at the rated temp, and be fully open by a few degrees above rating. If it's not fully open by a maximum of 10 degs over rating, it should be replaced.

It does seem a bit more than coincidental thermostat failures would explain.

I assume this is on the '01 OB. Has it had "conditioner" used on the cooling system? If so, how much and how often?

the cooling system has been dealer serviced until I had this problem ... I look at the failing thermos at the moment as just coincidental...in the late 80's I had a run of thermos needed for my VW

I would begin to suspect something else is at fault...
+1000 on this! I listened to several Chevy dealers tell me my at-the-time new truck had a thermostat problem. After 5 of them (thank goodness all under warranty) it became a fan clutch problem. 3 of those later, it was hoses. 2 sets later I'm still overheating and can't get over any pass. Heck, I couldn't even drive around Seattle without watching the gauge! Forget I-90.

I had coolant flushes and everything else you can imagine. One week after I went out of my 100k warranty (and had it promised to me that they'd finally fixed the problem with a coolant additive) it happened again on a trip. Fed up (and quite well-done heat-wise), I made it to the nearest radiator shop and had them pull the system apart.

I had flashing from the factory in my radiator and had been running on less than 25% of it. Faulty from go. Nothing else had ever been wrong. If I hadn't had the heavy-duty towing package I'd have never gotten anywhere those 2 years. I'd nearly killed my cat for nothing - 105 degree heat outside, coupled with the heat on full blast to cool down my engine for 40 miles and the next exit - it was so hot in the cab it delaminated my Converse on the gas pedal and my cat actually dove for the icewater in the cooler. He took a bath in it! :eek:

Once that radiator was rodded out (and then later replaced with a non-OEM from GI Joe's upon my return to Washington), it never overheated again for over 250k miles.

Purpose of story: if you still have your fan problem down the road, get a non-dealer to look at it, someone you trust. I kept wondering how 5 thermostats from dealers all over the West Coast could be faulty - they never were! It was just easier for the techs to blame it on the likely culprit, fix it, and get me out of their service bay. Under warranty, they still got paid, book only, and once my truck was gone they could put in a really high-paying job and get down to real work (my theory).

I had similar problems like Four Fleet on my 79 Ford. On mine we first replaced the radiator cap and that helped dramatically for a while but eventually it was determined that the radiator was pretty much plugged with manufacturing debris and scum despite very regular changes(once a year) due to severe towing and field work.

+1000 on this! I listened to several Chevy dealers tell me my at-the-time new truck had a thermostat problem. After 5 of them (thank goodness all under warranty) it became a fan clutch problem. 3 of those later, it was hoses. 2 sets later I'm still overheating and can't get over any pass. Heck, I couldn't even drive around Seattle without watching the gauge! Forget I-90.

I had coolant flushes and everything else you can imagine. One week after I went out of my 100k warranty (and had it promised to me that they'd finally fixed the problem with a coolant additive) it happened again on a trip. Fed up (and quite well-done heat-wise), I made it to the nearest radiator shop and had them pull the system apart.

I had flashing from the factory in my radiator and had been running on less than 25% of it. Faulty from go. Nothing else had ever been wrong. If I hadn't had the heavy-duty towing package I'd have never gotten anywhere those 2 years. I'd nearly killed my cat for nothing - 105 degree heat outside, coupled with the heat on full blast to cool down my engine for 40 miles and the next exit - it was so hot in the cab it delaminated my Converse on the gas pedal and my cat actually dove for the icewater in the cooler. He took a bath in it! :eek:

Once that radiator was rodded out (and then later replaced with a non-OEM from GI Joe's upon my return to Washington), it never overheated again for over 250k miles.

Purpose of story: if you still have your fan problem down the road, get a non-dealer to look at it, someone you trust. I kept wondering how 5 thermostats from dealers all over the West Coast could be faulty - they never were! It was just easier for the techs to blame it on the likely culprit, fix it, and get me out of their service bay. Under warranty, they still got paid, book only, and once my truck was gone they could put in a really high-paying job and get down to real work (my theory).

I appreciate your story ..a little off topic here ...It reminds me of coming back from Florida one very hot day and I had no problem with keeping the car cool, but I was amazed at how many newer cars, all American made were off to the side of the road because of over heating problems...the rads were manufactured to absolute minimum standards for cooling capabilities and apparently if, the maintenance was not kept up would over heat with no problem (as told to me by a well respected mechanic)..but I don't think this would be a problem with any well kept subaru

the cooling system has been dealer serviced until I had this problem
That doesn't answer the question of whether "conditioner" (stop-leak) has been used, and to what degree. I'd assume the dealer has been adding that stuff to satisfy Subaru's requirement for head gasket leakage "preventive maintenance". Normally it's not an issue, but if someone isn't diligent about getting all the air out of the cooling system, the "conditioner" can harden and clog things internally.

... I look at the failing thermos at the moment as just coincidental...in the late 80's I had a run of thermos needed for my VW
I certainly hope coincidence explains your problems, but I'm not convinced of that.

That doesn't answer the question of whether "conditioner" (stop-leak) has been used, and to what degree. I'd assume the dealer has been adding that stuff to satisfy Subaru's requirement for head gasket leakage "preventive maintenance". Normally it's not an issue, but if someone isn't diligent about getting all the air out of the cooling system, the "conditioner" can harden and clog things internally.

I certainly hope coincidence explains your problems, but I'm not convinced of that.

.. I have this particular topic in my "favorites list"...should any re-occurring problem persist, you will be the first to know..at the moment after several out of town trips, no problem and the temp gauge needle stays at exactly the 1/2 way mark and the fans re-cycle as they were designed too..I am betting on coincidence..