Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want to put a 100 amp alternator on my 84 Brat

I need to know what vehicle I need to get this 100 amp alternator from. If I remember right it is a GM alt. Just can't remeber what car it would be in. Or maybe a part number for it would work. Also is there anything special I need to do to my Brat when I am putting one in? Thanks,

Richard

The 100 amp GM's come in a lot of cars. When I did mine I think I found 1980 chevy blazer v8's and cadillacs had them. It's part #7157. In the Engine Electrical section of this forum RavenTBK did a write up on the install. My install didn't go quite like described in that write-up, but it wasn't too hard and was well worth it. That said, you might also consider the 90 amp Nissan Maxima alt. as well. I chose the GM because I know just about every parts store has one, I thought there were minimal mods, and it seemed like the best option for swaps in the field. I did have to do more grinding of the ears than I anticipated(angle grinder required) which defeats my reasoning for going with the GM. I am sure there is some variability in the space between the ears...pun intended but not directed. So if you get one you may not have to grind as much. I also had to put a spacer on the pulley for belt alignment and a spacer on the adjuster bracket (see pic). You will probably want to do some wiring upgrades. I went to #6 for the power supply wire and #12 for the field sensor wire. I have an '81 so I was removing an external voltage regulator at the same time, but yours should be similar. The ignition power wire was factory spliced into the alternator power wire about 16 inches down the alt wire from the fusible link box. If you replace your alternator wire you will have to locate that splice and connect ignition power to your new alt. wire.

Here's the bracket spacer. I will make a new one out of thicker metal someday. This one works great so far, but it makes me a little nervous.

spacerbracket.jpg

The field sensor wire should be upgraded and run directly to the main power supply wire just before the fusible links.

fieldsensor.jpg

You can kind of see where the f.s. wire splices into the supply wire (please excuse the toddler-like mouse-writing skills)

fieldsensor2.jpg

Finished fitment :)

finishedfitment.jpg

GD helped me out a lot on this, so if I have made a mistake here he will surely correct me. I would check the Maxima alt. before jumping into the GM. The GM is great, the mods aren't much, but it could/would be a difficult, time consuming swap on the side of the road. Hope this helps

I borrowed this from a dead thread which can be found here. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24227&highlight=GM+Alternator

Your Palladium P7157 alternator fits the following vehicles:

BUICK

1977 CENTURY

1977 ELECTRA

1978 LESABRE

CADILLAC

1980-1984 COMMERCIAL CHASSIS

1980-1984 DEVILLE

1980-1985 ELDORADO

1979-1985 FLEETWOOD

1980-1985 SEVILLE

CHEVROLET

1984-1985 P30 VAN

GMC

1984-1985 P35/P3500 VAN

OLDSMOBILE

1979 CUTLASS

1979 CUTLASS CALAIS

1979 CUTLASS CRUISER

1979 CUTLASS SUPREME

Good Luck

Mike

i frequently utilize www.partsamerica.com to cross reference for parts.

just put 7157 into the search field and it will turn up this alternator.then you can see a link to what all vehicles it fits.and it will give you a much larger list than above.this is the same list i took with me to the junkyards to procure my last two.cheers, brian

also the stock bracket may need to be ground down on the inside(closest to engine side) to allow more up and down movement of the alternator.