Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can this be fixed? (Picture link added)

I have a 1985 Brat that I'd like to get back on the road after 5 years. Overall its typical rust along the bottom edge of the doors and at the upper rear shock mounts. Some other small stuff that's no big deal as well. Here are the areas that concern me. The forward part of both sides of the floor pan where the unibody horns appear and surrounding areas. I had a 1987 wagon and bought pre-fabricated steel stiffeners for these areas and welded them in but I've never seen them for this body style. Is this thing worth trying to fix? If so what are my options? Thanks for any input.

524418_138_full.jpg

524418_137_full.jpg

524418_136_full.jpg

Looks like you are fairly close to me (PA)

I personally have fixed rust that bad before. It wasnt pretty... never is.

What the REST of the Brat looks like, would determine (for me at least) if it was worth it or not.

GD is correct. You have to cut out and weld in new. How are you at welding and fabricating?

Post some pics of the whole truck too!

Looks like you are fairly close to me (PA)

I personally have fixed rust that bad before. It wasnt pretty... never is.

What the REST of the Brat looks like, would determine (for me at least) if it was worth it or not.

GD is correct. You have to cut out and weld in new. How are you at welding and fabricating?

Post some pics of the whole truck too!

Rest of the truck is decent. Typical stuff around door bottoms and fender well edges. Not too worried about the fenders as I'm planning to clip them and hang flares on it after a lift. Typical rust at upper rear rear shock mounts that can be fixed. Interior of truck is really nice. It has 93,000 miles on it and mechanically works great. Just a shame to have to scrap it because of unibody nonsense. Wanted to start working on it and complete it with my son for his 16th b-day next June. I personally don't do body work or welding/fab stuff (strictly a mechanical wrench) but it doesn't bother me to have to spend a couple bucks to get it done. I just didn't know if it's TOO far gone to even be feasible to operate on. I swear it's this crap that Pennsylvania pre-treats the roads with prior to winter storms. Inspection mechanic friends of mine say that the underside of cars are horrible since PennDOT started using this stuff. I'll post some more pics of the rest of the truck shortly.

I just lost my XT6 to similar rust...not as bad around the rockers though..just all frame...Was going to attempt to save it until I jacked it up and the car bent in ways ..that they shouldnt.. I invested alot of time ..blood...and money into it.

And you are right about the PA crap.( I am originally from there till about 5 years ago)But whatever they put down here in CT take a car out in a year.

the question is how much do you love your subaru:rolleyes:

anything can be fixed:Flame: zzz

time + money x blood +sweat = job complete:cool:

results in a sence of pride and accomplishment plus a bad a$$ ru:headbang:

You forgot the tetanus shot!:lol: If I had a brat that looked like that I would fabricate or modify a frame and run toy axles front &back motor and tranny Optional depends what is available.:eek: