Ultimate Subaru Message Board

And So it Begins..EA81 Questions..Oil in Airbox Pics

I am working on LB the 83 EA81 GL-10 coupe of absolute beauty....I wanted to look at the current carb set up to see what I am going to need to do once the Glorious Weber set up arrives ( Thanks Mark and Jerry!!) I pull off the airbox..and it is LOADED with oil..OK thats usually a PCV valve..but that was replaced while I was in Seattle with an OEM one. I cleaned out the oil that was there at that time.

Fast Forward...It appears that all the hoses leading into the airbox are dry...except one..a small one that plugs into the lower left side of the airbox and lookks to go to the reed valve.. Also the reed valve appears to be the culprit of the spewing oil..

The wet hose goes to a metal line that goes under the intake ( I think) .

My question is...Is this something I have to worry about once the Weber is on ore is it one of the ones that gets plugged off..

Pics are attached for reference to what I am trying to explain.

small wet hose ( its wet inside) beside the ditsy.:

LBwork001.jpg

and the airbox....you can see its wet around the reed valve:

LBwork002.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

My question is...Is this something I have to worry about once the Weber is on ore is it one of the ones that gets plugged off..

If I'm not mistaken, that is the vacuum supply line that goes through the thermo (reed) valve in the airbox and on to the vacuum actuator on the airbox intake that opens up exhaust heat into the air supply while the engine is cold.

I don't have a weber so as far as I know that carb doesn't need the hot air so you would need to seal up the vacuum source so your engine runs smoothly.

I'm not sure why there is oil in it?! Maybe it got sucked in from the copious amounts that were evident in the box.

In the meantime, I just learned the "carb cleaner" trick this week and helped me find several vac leaks that were causing my engine to run poorly.. If its not running well, I highly recommend this (new found to me!) technique...

Steve

That hose is a breather line for some thermo-valve, ect. It's not the source of your oil.

You may have replaced the PCV, but did you clean out the hoses, valve cover nipples, and plastic connectors?

Also I see you haven't replaced the PCV breather element. It's that white foam element on the inside right of the filter box.

You are almost certainly still getting oil from the PCV system.

GD

I just worked on this same problem in my girlfriend's '84 wagon. Her's was a lot worse actually. The PCV filter material was crust. We replaced the filter material and valve, but not enough time has elapsed to say it definitely took care of the problem. If I doesn't, we will install an additional in-line PCV filter somewhere on the hose. I am wondering if there is extra blow-by occuring in the crankcase to produce so much oil.

GD.. I definately checked all that..and in fact its all dry...right down to that side of the air box.....I have checked and double checked all the hoses to the PCV and every hose in between..and the one pictured is the only one wet inside...maybe just a fluke..I am going to check it all again though..better safe then sorry.

And semneric...My Carter weber carb runs beautiful...it has a choke issue ( like someone hacked it off) and its all being swapped to a Weber 32/36 DVAC.Cause I drove one and I liked it.:grin:

And semneric...My Carter weber carb runs beautiful...it has a choke issue ( like someone hacked it off) and its all being swapped to a Weber 32/36 DVAC.Cause I drove one and I liked it.:grin:

I'm glad your weber is running well. My Hitachi is doing surprisingly well considering the engine RPMS went :burnout: while spraying carb cleaner around it's various gaskets.

I was thinking of swapping out for a weber just because I *NEED* an OEM solution to my fast idle needs - I have a new A/C compressor and dryer on order and want the idle speed increasing when its engaged. The current vacuum diaphragm actuator is toast and I have SCOURED the web looking for a replacement. I don't know why there isn't a solution for this already - I guess there arn't enough subes in the South.

Anyway wondered if you know of a suitable Fast Idle solution for the weber????

I'm current looking into an electric solenoid from Grainger with a fabbed up bracket and lever.... If it happens, I will definately post project progress on this forum because there is currently 0 solutions to A/C idle issues here...

Steve

OK I pulled all the lines..and cleaned them all out with some carb cleaner..there definately was a build up. I also found the line going to the drivers side valve cover was completely off.

I re attached the cleaned the airbox out ..going to keep an eye on things for now and see what happens.

Couldnt find whats clunking in the front..tie rod ends and ball joints are great.. Hear alittle noise in the axle but it doesnt click. I re tightened the bolts to the new front struts...

And now LB is getting a face lift in the front ..pealing plastic chrome and faded grill..are no more

Pics to come.

The lines, and especially the black plastic "F" shaped bit on the drivers side of the PCV system gets clogged up with carbon deposits. I almost always have to clean them out with a screwdriver to get all the gunk out.

The breather element is a couple dollars at the dealer - worth having a new one. I haven't been real successful cleaning them.

Here's the thing....

There's only two places that oil can get from the engine to the inside of the airbox - the top of each valve cover.

The inside of the valve covers also gets really gunked up - they should be clean and shiny so that oil can drain away from the breather ports and not be sucked into the airbox. I sandblast the inside of all mine to insure there are no deposits or build-up in them. Castrol super clean degreaser will eat it out as well - protect your hands from the stuff though.

The deal is - if you have oil in the airbox, it IS comming from the PCV system. That's the only place it can come from.

This can be a frustrating problem. You just have to address the system from top to bottom to insure you get proper flow and aren't sucking up oil.

It's best to address it now as you'll still have the same problems with the Weber if you don't. Except with the Weber the oil will be sucked into the carb rather than just inside the airbox but outside the filter. With the Weber the same filter is used for both airflow and PCV.

GD

I plan on doing a complete reseal when I put the WeBer on....also upgrading to the XT6 Alt...so when I have the valve covers off I will be able to clean them and check for gunk inside... Sometiimes I have to remind myself..for as good as it looks ..it still has 235K miles on it

So he is all clean and back together..so I will definately keep an eye on things...probably going to replace all those hoses in the future..

Another project I did today was to "fix LBs faded pealing nose ( we all know that "chrome" flakes off.) and his grill was pretty faded too so>

Before ( kinda hard to tell)

LBCoupe005.jpg

After:

LBwork005.jpg

And for the curious..Me actually...Hope your monitors dont break:

LBwork003.jpg