Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carbs on a ej

berge06

Hi

I was wondering if anyone ever carbed an ej engine.

The reason to do this would be to either make more NA power or to make a transplant easier.

Also I would like to know what type of ignition system would be easiest for such a convertion.

I know it has been done, but have anyone made a guide?

A 2,2 with webers in a brat sould be fun.

berge 06

• 2 weeks later...

If a fella was into prowling junkyards, and happened on one of these:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658531,00.html

The whole "issue", turbos, plumbing, carb, and air box, should make a "healthy" addition.

Some specs here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Biturbo

As the article states:

The Biturbo was the product of a desperate, under-funded company circling the drain of bankruptcy, and it shows. Everything that could leak, burn, snap or rupture did so with the regularity of the Anvil Chorus.

Not to mention rust, these cars arrived here rusting, and lasted in these parts about 4 years. These were moderately priced Italian "sports goofys", that no one in their right mind bought, and if you did buy, soon exceeded the purchase price in repair costs. I have seen many in pieces waiting for parts that would never arrive, or cost so much that they were abandoned at the garage, so there should be one, or two, here, and there, in junkyards. They use a weber carb in a "blow through" situation (a sealed air box) that should be easily adaptable to a 2.2/2.5, with a small turbo on each bank of cylinders.

Hi

Talking about carbs and turbo. Vsit this swedish site http://www.savarturbo.se

they are running 10 sec 1/4 mile and 200 kmh with an old volvo 144 with an old carbed volvo b20 engine with turbo of course. They convert standard volvo carbs to use with turbo applications, some also use weber carbs, i have seen twin 50mm webers pressurized with huge turbos.

berge06

Hi

Talking about carbs and turbo. Vsit this swedish site www.savarturbo.se

they are running 10 sec 1/4 mile and 200 kmh with an old volvo 144 with an old carbed volvo b20 engine with turbo of course. They convert standard volvo carbs to use with turbo applications, some also use weber carbs, i have seen twin 50mm webers pressurized with huge turbos.

berge06

Cool site, if I could read it.

hello

Well I can read it, and they convert standard zenith/ stormberg carbs from old volvos to be used in turbo applications by fitting a pressure box between turbo compressor side and carb.

If it doesn't get enogh fuel, fit another carb!

Crazy swedish people

berge06