Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:eek:

Help! My '97 Outback is leaking fuel! The fuel pump was relaced about two weeks ago. Since then the tank hasn't been any fuller that 1/2 tank. However, I had been smelling fuel on the passenger/rear side of the car (same side as the pump and the fuel filler nozzle). I filled up the tank today and now it is leaking fuel all over the place! I cannot tell where it is leaking. It seems to be leaking and then running down across the bottom of the car and dripping on the driver/rear side of the car.

Any suggestions?

My guess is it's your fuel filler pipe. Just replaced it on my '97 L sedan. The part is about $110 and is a fairly straight forward replacement....BUT, my car was 5 hours away (kid at school) so it became apx $340 at the dealership.

Take the passenger side rear tire off and you will see a plastic shroud that covers the fuel filler pipe. The shroud is the culprit as it traps road dirt and debris (salt) right at the bend as the pipe heads towards the fuel tank. In my case, I took off the shroud and was able to see, feel and smell the gas at that point in the pipe. Check this link out, it will give you an exploded view as well as the price.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214077&chapter=ARL7521&appSectionid=2782&groupid=2783&subgroupid=4022&componentid=0&make=32&model=Legacy&year=1997&graphicID=7521425&callout=8&catalogid=2

I had this same problem on my 97 Leg Sedan.

Just a word of warning if you're gonna get a used one from a board member or junkyard. There are two different styles of filler neck. I'm not sure what body, trim or year uses different ones.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=882

The first 6 photos in this folder are what I have, the last photo is the one I got from the junkyard that I couldn't use.

I think aftermarket filler tubes are an unmet need. Don't know how bad the liability would be but the dealer price seems pretty steep and the only option.

I have one excellent one here and I believe another one (that looks like it was replaced) on a car I'll probably part out this week.

I looked for alternative sources and couldn't find any. I'm used to seeing - and replacing the one in the first 6 pics of the last poster. I think they are the same on atleast 95-97 Legacy's - sedans and OB wagons in my experience.

Dave

Fuel fill pipe is in the RH (passenger) wheel well then goes to the tank. There's some rubber type hoses down in there too that could be leaking. Here's the filler pipe after you remove the plastic cover from it:

fillpipe1.jpg

carfire1.jpg

There seems to be a repair of some sort on your filler pipe. What did you do exactly ?