Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To replace oil pan...pull engine??

Now today starts the replacement of the pan. Wish me luck! :)

Clean both the mating surface at the bottom of the block and the mating surface of the new pan to shiny metal. Immaculate. Use a wire wheel on the oil pan gasket surface if you have to. Use OEM oil pan gasket. No sealant. Take your time on the fourteen (?) oil pan bolts, torquing lightly and in star pattern increments. Those pan bolts don't need a lot of torque. Just past "firm" if you're not using a torque wrench. This is what worked for me. No leaks in six years.

no, actually i haven't. but thanks for laughing at me for going by the diagram?!

hrmmmm :mad:

Sorry, laughing at the idea, more than AT you.

Sorry if it seemed rude. Not the intent.

Glad you got it fixed.

Sorry, laughing at the idea, more than AT you.

Sorry if it seemed rude. Not the intent.

i laughed too, it is amazing how simple it looks and how difficult it is. i found that out the hard way before i knew anything about cars or subaru's. i thought it looked easy, dropped all the pan bolts only to figure out there was no way to remove the pan and replace the gasket. too late, i already had it unbolted. so mr. college kid who knows nothing about cars had to *learn* how to jack up the engine to get the pan off. my modis operandi "if someone else can do it, i can do it" gets me in deep doo-doo sometimes but you learn a lot that way.

Hey I cant believe the JB weld worked THAT DOESNT MEAN IT WILL ALL THE TIME!!! but its great that it limped home! scoobies can usually do that, unless a distributor rotor screw pops out :mad:.

hey Audio, I just noticed the headlamp smile on your avitar.

but its great that it limped home! scoobies can usually do that, unless a distributor rotor screw pops out :mad:.

HAHHAAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only time I EVER had a Soobie towed was because of that damn F&*()%ng Screw!!!!!