Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Power Steering

I have two Brats, one with and one without power steering. Naturally I need to swap from one to the other :banghead:. What am I in for? At least I know I have all the parts. How tough of a job is it? Would it be easier to do with the engine out?

Mine is a 1985 non-turbo and it's got power steering. As many as I've seen in the junk yards over the past few years none of the non-turbo's have had power steering. I guess I got an odd ball.

The only Brat's that came stock with power steering are the turbo Brat's (83 and 84). If that's what you have then you are going to need some other stuff as well - the turbo Brat's power steering system is more like an EA82 power steering system than it is the EA81.

GD

I have two Brats, one with and one without power steering. Naturally I need to swap from one to the other :banghead:. What am I in for? At least I know I have all the parts. How tough of a job is it? Would it be easier to do with the engine out?

You don't need to remove the engine....

I've switched out cross-members on mine by jacking the engine up (using a block of wood to spread the load)....

Then I believe you need to switch over anything PS related that leads off the crossmember - rack, lines, pump blahdi blah....

If its too big a job for u, I can always come take it off your hands.... been waiting for a powersteering conversion on my Brat for ages :lol:

Steve

Beyond the basic work of swapping parts, lets not forget that one way or another you will need an alignment. If that means doing it yourself with some string or one of the gizmo's from harbor frieght it will have to be addressed. You will have a new rack and new cross-member so things will not line up the same as they did before.

Replace the steering rag joint with a urethane one for a VW bug. EMPI makes them - about $8.

GD

my 1986 brat came stock with power steering.non turbo.i know this because i know the original owners.cheers, brian

I thought mine was stock. If it isn't whoever did the retrofit was pretty good.