Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Somehow cheap Subarus are attracted to me, help?

For some reason, cheap Subarus are attracted to me once again. I was good for about a year (since I moved from Wyoming to Washington) but its becoming a habit once again. Some of you remember the thread which is still in the last couple pages of my EA82 turbowagon I got from Corky.

So earlier in the week, I'm perusing CL like usual and stumble across an ad for a '89 XT6. Just a make offer, bad suspension sort of deal.

I called the guy after he replied back to me with his number and I went to look at it today after work. Needless to say, I'll have a XT6 on Sunday. Now for the good part. The car has 121k on the odometer, FT4WD 5-speed with locking center diff, working cybrid PS, working power windows, locks, non functioning AC (whoopy), new battery, new tires, a slight sagging headliner. All of this is added onto the fact this car is..

MINT!

A few rock chips in the hood and two small dents on the whole car. Its black, bad air suspension but overall its in mint condition. Now here comes the even better part.

$200:eek:

Check all the o-rings on the hose junctions at the valves and such, the subie tech at my work says he's seen plenty of cars with "bad" air suspension that are just leaky o-rings. Easy enough to swap to springs though. Don't know about outrunning, but those will outhandle an SVX according to a guy on the SVX board.

Russ..my first reaction was to post ( over on the XT board ) to RUN!!!!!:-pRUN LIKE THE WIND:grin:;) ...but that is solely because I have had the worst experience with XTs and never ever want another one .. But that is me.

Congrats on the find... Tuesday...get hold of Backwoodsboy..I gave him whats left of my XT6 ( it is being hauled out on the 21st :banana:) ...he is going to be pulling the 5 lug stuff off and the tranny and sending the rest to scrap... Mine has the coil over conversion and everything is still good..He may be able to help you would with those parts if you ask him.

Well I do want to try and keep it wih the air suspension if possible since it is all original and unmolested. I'll still shoot backwoodsboy a PM about the suspension though just to have back-ups if needed/when ready.

I am telling you..you are not going to want to keep the air..its nothing but a problem...plus coil overs handle better.

sweet! Yeah, check all the valves and stuff, you should be able to activate the air suspension and be able to find a leak, if none of the bags are leaking, use a soapy water solution and a spray bottle to spray the junctions and such, probably just a leaky o-ring, which are pretty easy to replace, in some cases you can take them apart and oil the o-rings and put it back together and they will work, not always though. As for the struts, if you want them to last, put the car in HIGH mode and clean the shaft real good where the bag rides, and the plate it rests on (make it smooth), and then coat it with silicone grease. The problem is the bag wears the paint off, which causes it to rust, and the rust eats through the rubber.

It says right on the bags "Do not paint". And only Canada got the manual height adjustment.

Russ, I have the 88 XT FSM set, its got all the air suspension stuff in it.

If you want to mess with it, feel free to borrow the section you need. That is, if you plan on keeping it long ;)

Shush you!:grin:

Anyways I got it home today and wow, it has more power then my RX go figure! Here's a pic of it and in the backround, you'll see my sister's new OBS too. Rest of the pics can be seen here

2909323140067339125S600x600Q85.jpg

Link to the pics comes up "page cannot be displayed". Is it just me or is the link broken?

Car looks unbelievable! Great buy. Best of luck with it.

Shush you!:grin:

:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p:-p Nice score definately...but listen you your elders..Or I will tell BWB that I dont want any Rocky parts on your silky Black sweetness. :-p;)

I honestly wish mine wouldnt have left such a horrid taste in my mouth for them.Doubt I will ever want another..I know mine was one of the rare POS ones..and I hope you have the bestest luck with it

:)