Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello an Help Requqest!

“Yes, I retyped it because Grammar/Spelling was Horrible It was late I was tired.”

Dear USMB Users,

Hello, I am a new user to USMB it was recommended by someone off of Car-Domain. So I checked it out & found the website out to be really interesting an full of information.

Basically I want to make my car a project car my first one I have yet to learn all the trade’s of a auto mechanic etc.. “In Latrine Day Terms I’m not car smart “I have a Subaru RX 1988 Coupe Turbo. It has about 151 k miles on it. It had been sitting for about 2-3 years before I got it... First Thing was getting it to run I put some oil / gas in it. New spark & Battery Came on No Problems whatsoever. Needed a new Clutch and transaxle. I replaced those by my self took me awhile it figure it out but I got it. It’s been running great for about 4 months now. Up in tell the other day when it started making a very loud tick tick tick sound. Sounds like it coming from the engine block “It’s not the Fan Belts”

A Friend suggested it was a sticky lever an or a broken valve spring. It still run’s and drives fine. Just annoying. If you have any suggestions are ideas on what the problem could be please share with me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gloyale

Whatever was leaking coolant, you better fix it better than duct tape.

The first time you run low on coolant, you will overheat, and That motor doesn't like overheating.

Zach

“I had meant that it was leaking water from my window seals down into the carpet an creating little puddles on the passenger side only. I would love to replace the window & Seals ASAP. But I’m waiting on seeing if I need to just replace the whole car.”

In Response To GeneralDisorder

None taken Mate. But I have to disagree I love my car. I love Subaru’s in general but isn’t best I start off with a car I need to learn to work with? I could go and buy a new car. Iv got about 6 grand in the bank from over the year’s and I could go out an just get a new one but I dint want to I wanted to start off with a car an put money an time into it an see what I get in the end.

Other Information id Like to know,

I really want to find a online or a local “Washington state” Shop that sells Parts for my car Iv been calling up local wrecking yards looking for an 80’s Subaru but so far no luck..

Update. 6.14.08

Today I drove past Albertsons on the way to work an saw an 88 Subaru RX without the turbo parked. I left a note asking to the owner to call me if he was interested in selling / parting it out to me. Waiting for him to call if so...

Sitting for 3 years

Picture095.jpg

Cleaned up & Work

NB136Front006.jpg

NB136Front003.jpg

Welcome to the Board...

If the noise is from the engine it could be from the HLA's (hydraulic lash adjusters), they're what open/close the valves. They could be a bit sticky from sitting for so long. We refer to it as the "tick of death" (TOD), but it's not a serious problem, just annoying.

I reccomend draining a quart of oil out and pouring in a quart of Dextron II ATF, run it for about 60 miles or so and then do an oil change. The ATF will clean out the oil system and may free up the HLA's. Could also be that you need to reseal the oil pump as it's sucking air around the MickeyMouse gasket, (so called because of it's shape).

k great ill check all those out first thing. Are any of these problems somthing that need to be done asap ? i dont want to keep driving on it an end up %^$%@ somthing up.

Whatever was leaking coolant, you better fix it better than duct tape.

The first time you run low on coolant, you will overheat, and That motor doesn't like overheating.

Everything about you, your car, and especially your post indicates you should find a different car. You'll have nothing but problems with the RX. Sell it while it's still relatively untouched and get something you don't have to mess with.

Sorry to be blunt my friend, but a finicky 88 RX is not the right car for someone who's 17 and just starting out. It's a good car for folks that have other vehicles, who can devote the time and money required to keep them going, and who doesn't have to rely on it to get to work/school. They also get terrible mileage.

Get a motorcycle. - you'll be better off.

GD

grammar cleared up, let's see if this helps Zach get a few more answers...

Hey guys im new to usmb. It was recomended by some people off car-domain so I finally checked it...good stuff. Well I'm just introducing myself and my car. I'm not car smart *yet* but I have a '88 Subaru RX Turbo I want to make into a project car. I'm new to this and I need help/advice.

Basicly I got my car as a gift. It sat for 2 years, had some damage: leaking seals, so it gets puddles of water some times...rarely now that I've added duct tape :P. Well it needed a new clutch and drive [CV?] boot so I replaced those.

It's been runing great for while until the other day. I'm have a rapid clicking sound. It's not quiet, its loud and keeps up with the RPM's. Some of my friends said it could be low oil. Checked it, then the fan belts...checked those, they both were fine, then somone said a valve spring or a sticky lever [lifter?]. So i was wondering if any of you have got any idea whats happening to my baby? >_<

PS. I'm looking for '88 Subaru RX parts here in Washington if you know of one please let me kmow. I know a bunch of you guys are from here, thanks.

Everything about you, your car, and especially your post indicates you should find a different car. You'll have nothing but problems with the RX. Sell it while it's still relatively untouched and get something you don't have to mess with.

Sorry to be blunt my friend, but a finicky 88 RX is not the right car for someone who's 17 and just starting out. It's a good car for folks that have other vehicles, who can devote the time and money required to keep them going, and who doesn't have to rely on it to get to work/school. They also get terrible mileage.

Get a motorcycle. - you'll be better off.

GD

:confused:

geeze... give him a chance.

He might need a little time to get acclimated to the car and cars in general.

he has good taste, better than most 17 YOs!

:popcorn:

In Response To GeneralDisorder

None taken Mate. But I have to disagree I love my car. I love Subaru’s in general but isn’t best I start off with a car I need to learn to work with? I could go and buy a new car. Iv got about 6 grand in the bank from over the year’s and I could go out an just get a new one but I dint want to I wanted to start off with a car an put money an time into it an see what I get in the end.

If you don't know a lot about mechanics, then an RX is not a good way to start your learning curve. For several reasons:

1. The EA82 Turbo (EA82T) is arguably the worst engine Subaru ever made. To quantify that statement it should be added that as a measure of poor engines goes, the EA82T is still quite a bit better than many products produced by manufacturers other than Subaru. The engine has a poor head/block interface, weak exhaust port castings, a primitive timing belt system, primitive HLA's, and an overall weak cooling system.

2. The problems you are likely to have are not condusive to "learning". You likely do not have the experience to know what needs addressing first, to see problems before they become extreeme, and to address them correctly. This almost certainly will result is a very bad experience with the EA82T. Overheat it just once or twice and you are looking at tearing it down to the block for a HG job and possibly expensive exhaust port repairs as the heads are prone to cracking.

3. The car has very little performance potential as a whole without swapping engines to an EJ series. You are not ready for that, nor do you have the money or the time.

Seriously - get an early 90's Impreza or Legacy. Leave the old school turbo's to us crazy old farts that have the time and exprience to work on them properly. Take a look at my post count - how many kids like you do you suppose I've seen with ideas like your's? I know what's going to happen, and I knew it when I read your very first post. Be one of the few smart one's and don't waste any more time - sell it and get something that will get you around safely and without major mechanical work on a regular basis.

GD

there is nothing wrong with learning on the rx, thats how i learned, granted, i was 20 when i got mine, but i had only been into cars a little over a year and knew squat about cars at that point, building my rx was a steep learning curve but well worth the effort. it taught me a lot about diagnostics and just wrenching in general.

i wouldnt get the rx for your primary car, my daily driver is an impreza, so i was never stuck when the rx was down. granted, the only times the rx was down once i finally got it running was from sabotage from meineke and then just my own stupidity later on.

and like everyone has said, pay close attention to the cooling system, make sure that your radiator and hoses are all in good shape. head gaskets are easy to do on this engine, but its still not fun to do.

dont let anyone else tell you what to do, you have to make your own decisions about what you want to do. but do take time to read te advice from the people here, they know hese cars better than just about anyone in the world. good luck and enjoy the car, they are an absolute blast to drive when you get it running right.

I've only experienced the EA82T once and it was a good experience, but I only owned it for about 5,000 miles. I think it can be reliable, but if you have no experience I think you should buy a secondary car and take your time learning on that one. I bought an Impreza so I could play with my EA82 (slowly becoming EJ22 powered) and I must say it's nice to have a reliable and comfortable daily driver (with CUPHOLDERS!!!).

But it's your car and your choice so you're entitled to do whatever you want. Take good care of it though... don't be afraid to walk away. These EA82s can be annoying... I'm a pretty patient person (I guess) but they push me to my limits of patience. I've been known to destroy a few fenders and hoods using various objects including my fists. :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for this message board, I wouldn't know squat about Subaru's!!

It's fed this addiction of mine. Without this board I'd still be driving a Dodge

So give the kid a chance will ya', he's in the right place asking the right questions to the right people. If he decides the car isn't right for him, maybe he'll post it for sale on this board. Maybe he'll realize he's got a knack for this and go nuts with the car. I think someone that lives near him needs to help him out.

Well engine went i was driving it down the road an oil presure went blamo then engine blew. good news is i just got off the phone with a japanese engine dealer who is going to hook me up with a new one. our im going to buy a ej from him ^^ iv decided stay with the subaru im currently looking for a parter. i orderd new doors / trim and some 14's 3 days ago.

ill repost some info later i need to had off to work

If you couldn't keep the EA82T running, then you'll never succesfully swap an EJ in there - especially a japanese one that has no ECU, no wireing, and came from a RHD car.... Stop wasting your money kid - just buy an Impreza like the rest of the kids and go have fun with it and your friends. You'll be years swapping an EJ in there and you'll have a hacked together peice of crap when you are done that no one will touch.

No joke - this is WAY more complicated than you think/know.

GD

GD I love you :grin: Your about as suttle as a mack truck on fire with a load of naked girls on the back.

Sadly though hes right. You do a search under turbo and your going to find a ton of headgasket problems. One thing i didnt want to do when i was 17 is work on my car all the time. I wanted to cruise and pick up chicks. That car is worth more parting it out then you could possibly get out of it. Listen to the older people on here. Not me the people whove been doing this for years. You want a sporty subaru get an impreza, you want a reliable one, get a legacy, you want a cheep one get a loyale. But dont start off with a turbo in the beginnings of your subaru upbringing, it will leave a bad taste in yoru mouth.

Ben

Man just looking over your car youve got about 500 bucks worth of parts there.

100 for the lsd

100 for the rear brakes

150 or more for the rx body kit

100 or so for the awd tranny

You could make up for the rest with the interior parts, hood, grill. Ill take some of those parts off your hands if you want.

You would be better off with the yota in the background of your first pic.