Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does it need to be done? Please advise me?

Hi all I have a 2004 legacy and it has 38k on it and I did have the 30k tune up on it but I was wondering if the power steering fluid should be replaced to? I have not changed it on the car yet and was not sure of the condition and severity of the case. So I would appreciate some feeback to see if it needs to be done with my next oil change. Thanks!

I'm 99% sure that your manual says to check and fill. It really doesn't say to replace the power steering fluid.

However you can do the turkey baster trick and drain out as much as you can and refill it. Then later do again, and then again. You'll change out a lot of the old fluid that way.

As others have stated, use an old one and not the thankgiving baster!

check it yes, replace it definitely not. way overkill. the earliest i'd consider an intelligent move is 60,000 miles or 6 years but i wouldn't argue with someone waiting until 100,000 miles either. this is a service most people never do and while i'm all about preventative maintenance this is one that's just not high on the list. i'd be more concerned with just about every other fluid in the car - rear diff, front diff, coolant and brake fluid.

I have never replaced P/S fluid in any car that I have owned, or have ever heard of anyone changing the P/S fluid. Maybe, check every once in a while, if a little low, I would top it off. Last car I owned since new, I put nearly 300,000 miles on it, and never had a problem with P/S fluid.

check every once in a while,
you've figured it out! it only needs changing because it gets contaminated by all the "checking and inspecting" every 15k or 30k!! just kidding, you may not have seen one but i've seen enough failed power steering racks (and know others have as well) that replacing it at least once over the life of the vehicle isn't a bad idea.