Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Funny Noise

Just curious of you folks have heard of this one. Just noticed it today. When your faceing the motor from the front. A whirling noise coming from the left side. I dont see any pumps or pullys. I dont know if its the belt makeing this noise, or timeing belt, or if this is the famous tick of death but its not ticking like explained it sounds like whirling.

Any thoughts.

Ben

It might be a Dried Ball Bearing, Timin` Belt Tensioneer... (My White Wagon sounds like that at the Air Conditioner Compressor unit) Dry / Worn \ Old Ball Bearings... I Think that might be the Cause.

You can use an Around two feet long Hose (Around 5/8") like an stethoscope, Put one end on one Ear, the other end near the Suspecting Parts... (Very Carefully, as Loud Noises could be Dangerous) ...and you`ll be able to Find the Exact Source of that Noise.

If it is a Ball Bearing, I Suggest to Change it soon...

Good Luck! :burnout:

what he said - sounds like the timing belt tensioner bearing.

sounds like a very good possibility to me. Its on the side of the motor where there are no visibal pullys and it seems to be coming from the motor. If this thing grenades is the motor done for or do i need to do a timeing belt kit.

Ben

[quote name='The Dude Abides']If this thing grenades is the motor done for or do i need to do a timeing belt kit.

Ben[/quote]
Nope, just a new timing belt kit.

The engines are non-interference, meaning the valves won't hit each other or the pistons if the belts break.

I know your not a gypse and you dont have a crystal ball but whats the life of something like this before it goes.

Ben

Check this out, it might prolong the life. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50430

It's a how to repack your timing pulley bearings. You could probably get away with doing it with the pulleys still on the engine with the belts in place, just try not to get the grease on the belts.

Thanks to subeman90 for the write up.

Johnson']Nope' date=' just a new timing belt kit.

The engines are non-interference, meaning the valves won't hit each other or the pistons if the belts break.[/quote']

Yes, it won't hurt anything inside the engine since they are non-interference... but I had a timing belt idler gear seize, and it shredded an otherwise good timing belt... sort of sucked because I was 5 hours away from home on the side of the road in a little town not near much (but 3 blocks from the Napa, luckily). It started making a little more noise than normal a few weeks before it went (had 220k on it), then all of a sudden.... grunch, and no more engine running :(