Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New EPA gas mileage for old(er) cars

The topic of gas mileage is a common one here, and people often question why they're not getting what the window sticker listed for EPA City/Hwy. Part of the "problem" may have to do with lack of maintenance (low tire pressure, need for tune-up, sticking brakes, etc.), and perhaps an "aggressive" driving style.

However, another issue might be the result of the EPA having been a bit unrealistic in its estimation of what mileage the average person was likely to get. You can find what the government now thinks your City/Hwy mileage should be at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm .

For example, my '99 Legacy OB (2.5L DOHC) was originally EPA-rated 21/26 MPG. The latest figures at the website I linked to are 18/24. My average gas mileage for mixed driving in reasonable weather is about 21, the middle of the EPA's range, so (at least for me :) ) it appears the newer figures are closer to reality.

Every car I've ever had since the EPA mileage estimates came out, I've always managed to beat without trying (except for my '79 Cougar bought new:mad: ). Most of my Acuras got/get as much as 50% better than the EPA number(sometimes 40+MPG); my then-new '74 Duster (POS) got 30 regularly; Celicas, Mustangs, an Accord..all slightly better at worst. Even my present winter-only beater '83 wagon with ski racks and brush guard with 320K on it regularly gets 26MPG+. Again, I'm not the most "sissy" driver, but not terribly aggressive either. I've just kept my cars running as good as possible (even that crap Duster:lol:).

My 2 bucks

Every car I've ever had since the EPA mileage estimates came out, I've always managed to beat without trying[...]
Just curious -- what percentage of your travel is city (stop-and-go) and/or hilly as opposed to highway (cruising) and flat?

My 2 bucks
You do realize that's not even half a gallon's worth? ;)

That crap is way off. Both my 1.8 2wd 5spd Impreza and 1.8 2wd 5spd GL get at least 30 around town and close to 40 on the highway. I live in a hilly area, but I'm a pretty laid back driver. Hell, even when I drive the hell out of my Impreza around town I still get at least 30.

Just curious -- what percentage of your travel is city (stop-and-go) and/or hilly as opposed to highway (cruising) and flat?

Let's see...During the 70's, most of my driving (I'd say 3/4) was in-town, with a few trips to the beach, mostly freeway, 30 miles away.

During my career days, my commute was probably 1/2 the distance in-town, the other half freeway (some urban, some hilly rural). Roughly.

After I retired a few years ago, I'd have to say that 95% percent is in-town and mountain (around Tahoe). Lots of very short trips:eek: .

You do realize that's not even half a gallon's worth? ;)

When I first got my license, 2 bucks dang near filled the tank on my '70 Volkswagen!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It ain't like it was...

:burnout:

That crap is way off. [...]
If you think so, you can go to the info for your year/make/model on the website, click on 'Compare to Official EPA Window Sticker MPG', and see what others are reporting. If you think your own mileage is significantly different, or nobody has provided personal data, you can click on 'Learn more about "Your MPG" ', register, and provide alternative information.

If you think so, you can go to the info for your year/make/model on the website, click on 'Compare to Official EPA Window Sticker MPG', and see what others are reporting. If you think your own mileage is significantly different, or nobody has provided personal data, you can click on 'Learn more about "Your MPG" ', register, and provide alternative information.

These figures must be "worst case scenario" because I don't see how a '96 Toyota Camry sedan (mother's car) with a 4 speed automatic is ONLY going to get 26 mpg cruising at 70 on the interstate. Unless you were a VERY agressive driver. And 18mpg around town? Yeah, if it saw nothing but the drag strip. I'll think about registering.

I am way surpassing the estimate on my 08 Impreza...21/27estimate...I get 28/32 ...more on a solid 30-31 ..mixed..hills ..lights..construction..the most I got was 34 and I am working with my dealer to try and get a solid 34 out of it.

These figures must be "worst case scenario" because I don't see how a '96 Toyota Camry sedan (mother's car) with a 4 speed automatic is ONLY going to get 26 mpg cruising at 70 on the interstate.....

This was part of the reason for the change. I remember the news reports about this (6 months to a year ago) which talked about how the old epa estimates where for an average freeway cruising speed of 50mph which does not allow for the faster speeds people drive, and more importantly, how much time they spend sitting in stop 'n go traffic.

[...]I remember the news reports about this (6 months to a year ago) which talked about how the old epa estimates where for an average freeway cruising speed of 50mph which does not allow for the faster speeds people drive, and more importantly, how much time they spend sitting in stop 'n go traffic.
Yes, those things, and poorer mileage in winter due to thickened lubricants, inefficiencies until the engine and drivetrain are warmed, driving conditions, reformulated gas, etc.

I suspect that some of the folks posting great gas mileage aren't giving an average that includes (for example) winter driving -- I know that my mileage can drop as low as 16 MPG when it's very cold and I'm just doing short trips. Obviously, if you don't factor times like that in, the numbers look a lot better.

Did a 7.5 liters per 100 km or 31.4 mpg U.S today.

Highway cruise at 119 kph or 74 mph.

Test run of 152 Km used 11.4 liters.

Cold tire pressure 34 lbs back 37 lbs front.

2/3 of the time with AC on full.

5/30 mobil synthetic, which I think is helping.

Ambient temp ranged between 21˚ and 26˚ C.