Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 d/r tranny into lifted 84 d/r wagon ???

I searched up some info regarding this transplant and haven't come up with any definitive facts regarding what clutch parts to use from each year vehicle

I am looking for knowledgeable confirmation...perhaps a list of sorts.

Also since it is lifted (3"), are there any modifications needed? I thought i read somewhere about grinding out the hole in the floor to make up the distance that the shifter is lowered. :-\ i don't know... thats why i'm asking.

thanks

D/R 4-spd to D/R 4-spd should swap right over.

If its a 5-spd D/R there IS a difference.

When I did my lift, the hole in the floor was not the problem. Rather, the linkage for the D/R shifter was what got in the way (prevented me from hitting reverse)

I cut, moved, and re-welded the problematic section.

Also, you may not have trouble (or as MUCH trouble) if your shifter is not "sloppy"

If you do have slop, the perfect (and easy) time to fix it is when you are changing trannys.

Search on here for shifter slop fix ... there is a great write-up.

It should be a direct swap if I recall. Being a tranny from a 82 you will benefit from the lower gearing. Should help move those larger tires better. I know this swap was done to NV Zeno's wagon, but his is not lifted.

PS. When are you gonna make it into sparks to pick up the brush guard?

you will want to maintain the larger 84 flywheel /clutch/pressure plate/release bearing set-up. The release bearing is larger, and the holder is a little different to support the larger bearing.

you may need to use the 82 holder, with another piece pressed onto it to allow the 84 bearing to fit properly.....

I believe the tranny input shaft is a different diameter, so you need to use the '82 holder..... but it's been a while since I dealt with that issue....

you can use a 82 holder and release bearing, but it doesn't have the best contact with the pressure plate fingers (just hits the tips), and could make it harder to shift because it may not fully disengage the clutch....