Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 RX Turbo wont pass emmissions any guesses?

Cruise Limit : HC (PPM) 220 CO (%) 1.2

Cruise Emissions: 462(FAIL) 5.13 (FAIL)

Idle Limit: HC (PPM) 220 CO (%) 1.2

Idle Emissions 1192(FAIL) .44 (PASS)

Anyone have a idea on whats going on or anyone had this problem with theres.... engine was rebuilt 50,000 ago and is still tight very little blow by runs smoooth no misses..... turbo still alive and kicking no oil leaks or burning im at my end with this subaru it's about to go to the Junk Yard

Cruise Limit : HC (PPM) 220 CO (%) 1.2

Cruise Emissions: 462(FAIL) 5.13 (FAIL)

Idle Limit: HC (PPM) 220 CO (%) 1.2

Idle Emissions 1192(FAIL) .44 (PASS)

Anyone have a idea on whats going on or anyone had this problem with theres.... engine was rebuilt 50' date='000 ago and is still tight very little blow by runs smoooth no misses..... turbo still alive and kicking no oil leaks or burning im at my end with this subaru it's about to go to the Junk Yard[/quote']

Let me ask a question(possibly stupid). Is it all stock, or are there any modifications done?

Patrick

i had the same problem with my last EA82T. when it was at idle the O2 sensor would go flat, then run rich. to fix it i put in a heated three wire O2 sensor. then it flew through emmissions.

just a good new sensor may have worked but i had a custom downpipe with no cat or heat shelds. i think the cat in the downpipe helps keep it up to temp at idle.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Also check your ignition timing, I ran with 35degree BTDC for a while (no it wasn't intentional and no it didnt detonate or knock) and it had immense HC emissions, like 1400PPM at idle :lol:

So make sure yours is at 20/22 degrees @ 700rpm.

i had the same problem with my last EA82T. when it was at idle the O2 sensor would go flat, then run rich. to fix it i put in a heated three wire O2 sensor. then it flew through emmissions.

just a good new sensor may have worked but i had a custom downpipe with no cat or heat shelds. i think the cat in the downpipe helps keep it up to temp at idle.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

I took the upper cat off of my old EA82T and put on one hotter cat. It passed with flying colors. If I were you I'd try just changing the oil as well and make sure the car is good and warmed up before running the test.