Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need a little help, 89 XT turbo

So I got a problem. I just bought an 89 turbo XT. Everytime you run it for a while and shut it off it seems to not want to start back up.....At all.

You have to wait till it cools off, or you can push start it, then it will run perfect. Once you get it running the ECS light comes on. I don't know what this runs.

I thought that it was the termo sending unit, the one that tells the computer what to do, but that has been replaced. along with the wires. If anyone has had this happen or knows why this is happening what did or do you do to remedy it. The car looks like it wants to go play in this nice sun:banana:

Jeff

the XT was never offered in 1989 with a turbo. 1987.5 was the last year for the XT Turbo.

read your codes, that's probably going to lead us in the right direction. set the trunk so you can pop it. run car until the Check Engine light comes on...leave the car running while you pop the trunk and read the little blinking green light in the trunk. it will have slow and fast blinks - the first set each count as "10" each. the second set each count in "1"'s. so if it blinks 2 then 3....that's a 23. if it blinks 4 then 5 - it's a 45. copy that?

all the codes are probably posted here and on subaruxt.com. check out us over there. if you register, send me a note with your user name and i'll check on your registration.

the XT was never offered in 1989 with a turbo. 1987.5 was the last year for the XT Turbo.

read your codes, that's probably going to lead us in the right direction. set the trunk so you can pop it. run car until the Check Engine light comes on...leave the car running while you pop the trunk and read the little blinking green light in the trunk. it will have slow and fast blinks - the first set each count as "10" each. the second set each count in "1"'s. so if it blinks 2 then 3....that's a 23. if it blinks 4 then 5 - it's a 45. copy that?

all the codes are probably posted here and on subaruxt.com. check out us over there. if you register, send me a note with your user name and i'll check on your registration.

Right on I'm on there already I think but I'll go see what I got right now!!!

Thank you

Jeff

With out the car running and the key on it is 12
that's the one causing your no-start condition, start tracking that down. seems like it's starter circuit related. the FSM would be a good place to start on this one...memory isn't kind but starter, solenoid, ignition, relays, battery cable may all be a good thing to check here. the starter/solenoid assembly is my *guess* though. i bet a whack or two with the hammer may free it up when it's acting funny.

that's the one causing your no-start condition, start tracking that down. seems like it's starter circuit related. the FSM would be a good place to start on this one...memory isn't kind but starter, solenoid, ignition, relays, battery cable may all be a good thing to check here. the starter/solenoid assembly is my *guess* though. i bet a whack or two with the hammer may free it up when it's acting funny.

The Starter is working and doing everything just fine. While you are cranking on it to get it to start, you can smell gas, lots of gas, and it seems kinda "bluber" like its trying to start, but it is flooded to beat the band.

Jeff

i didn't see your username on the subaruxt forum so i couldn't approve you. if you haven't been approved yet, tell me your username and when you signed up.

I'm on over there already, thank you though.:)

Jeff

:rolleyes:

check for spark during the "No start" condition. my guess is you don't have any. check for spark at each plug, then at the coil.

when was the last tune up - plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

That's kidna the funny thing too, it will start sometimes with it floored, but it isn't right and I don't want to have to push start it in the middle of town:rolleyes: . havn't done that yet, but Im bound to sooner or later.

Jeff

I agree with rob, especially on turbos, if it doesn't start when hot, replace the coil.

Also, there is nothing wrong with starting it floored, I have to do that 75% of the time and it starts everytime. Has something to do with the idle being to low (on my car that is).