Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87' Subaru DL 4D Sedan. Possible Starter problems

So I don't know much about cars, but I recently acquired and 87' Subaru DL and I am quickly learning :)

So...the car runs really warm and even hot, but it has never once over heated. The coolant expansion tank is full, oil is full and radiator is full which tells me its the Thermostat. I bought one, But I know nothing about installing it. Apparently I have to drain all the coolant, install the thermostat, and bleed the air from it. (I read it in my Manual) I dont even know where to start for that. So there is one issue im having :P

My other Issue...Now my car wont start. I replaced the Spark Plugs (It needed to be done anyway), Brand new battery, and I hear a clicking when I turn the key, and the Dash lights come on. I tried jumping it and that didnt work either, which tells me its the Starter, right? How easy is it to replace the starter in an 87' Subaru. I don't even know where its located. Im not in any huge hurry to get this one because I have another car I can use for now.

Yours truly,

Huge Noob ;)

The overheating issue would also be a clogged radiator. You might as well just buy a new radiator, OEM thermostat, radiator hoses, heater hoses, and then there's a small coolant line going from the block to the carb so replace that too. EA82s don't like to be ran hot, not good for the headgaskets. Not sure about the starter, could possibly also be relay? Someone else will chime in.

To check the radiator for possible clogging, feel the entire surface of the coil with your hand, once the engine has been warmed up and turned off, for cool spots. If the fins are rotten, the radiator is junk junk. No saving it.

Cool spots in the radiator indicate an area of clogged coolant passageways, ie, no heat transfer. If a large area is cooler than the rest, then your rad likely needs to be replaced. If you feel frisky, you can run a radiator flush solution through it, and go through a process of removing it, flushing it both directions with a garden hose, removing the thermostat and back-flushing the block, back flush the heater core with a garden hose, and basically blast all the crud out of your engine block.. Replace the thermostat, re install your radiator, and see how everything works then.

If I were in a situation with a car that ran inordinately hot, and had NO MONEY for parts but say, 20-50 bucks to try to fix the issue, I would buy a bottle of GOOD radiator flushing solution. I would drain the coolant completely, and remove the thermostat. Refill with water, run it for a couple days, drain it again, and refill with water and flush solution. I would make sure to use the heater a good bit with the flush solution in it. After a heat cycle or two with the flush solution in it, I would drain it, remove the radiator, and remove the heater core coolant lines. I would then blast the garden hose through the engine at all points while running it briefly. Cut the engine, flush the heater core out in each direction a couple times. Blast the garden hose through the radiator in each direction a couple times. Make sure you degrease the fins of the radiator so they are good and clean.. spray some simple green on, let it soak, and spray it off. Reinstall the radiator, fill it all up with water one more time, run it through a heat up cycle, let it cool, drain, refill with antifreeze. Replace thermostat and any hoses that may be suspect at ALL. The little hose that was mentioned above is one of the most evil buggers on the planet; you may be leaking through that hose and not even know it. Lower pressure coolant will bool, and is less effective as a coolant as a result.

Now, THAT was an EXTREME detail on trying to make sure everything is working great, on a super budget, while trying to avoid replacing any expensive parts. Realistically, if you need a new radiator and don't change it out, it will wind up causing you to blow your headgaskets.

Period. If you do not keep your cooling system in tip top shape, you will blow your headgaskets eventually. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow.. but soon, and for the rest of your life. In the end it is your call, but it all comes down to checking your rad for cool spots. Someone (Permatex maybe?) sells a kit with some Tees and valves that you put inline with the heater core plumbing and it allows you to tap into a block flush solution, as well as a garden hose, so that you can run a "power-flush" without going to the extreme and exotic measures I outlined above; that costs like $15 but you may prefer to go that route. I have just never bothered, since if I ever NEED to, my garden hose will deliver more pressure unhindered by the plastic fittings in the kit. You should take SOME care not to blast anything apart, should you choose my route.. but it hasn't been too great an issue for me, just use common sense.

HTH, that was alot to write, but if you REALLY REALLY are hurting for money that badly, then I figured I may as well outline my "poor man's plan" and its associated risks. Something like that shouldn't be left vague, IMO. If you have any questions let me know.

Oh, and regarding the click, click, click... no start. Search! select posts by: my name, and enter relay, and starter, and that should be AMPLE to get you on to one or twelve threads about this issue. The solution is USUALLY to install either a pushbutton switch, or a relay operated by the keyswitch, to operate the starter solenoid. Sometimes it is a solenoid problem, sometimes a battery/cable problem, but usually its a problem with the keyswitch. The debate rages on whether a pushbutton is safe enough, etc etc etc, I prefer to install a relay but a pushbutton is perfectly fine for many as well. Search and you shall find.

Wow...that all sounds like a lot of work for someone who has never worked on a car before, lol. Seeing as I am packing on Friday and Moving on Saturday, its going to have to wait till I move. I wont have access to a Garden Hose though, so Maybe with any luck I can get it over to my sisters house 10 minutes down the road and make a Day project out of it. :) Thanks for all the info. Im going to print it out, lol.