Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greasy Transaxle Housing

I recently pulled my EA82 from my Loyale and I noticed the entire isinde of the transaxle housing was coated with a black film that appears to be composed of oil and clutch dust.

Does this mean my transaxle input shaft seal is leaking? Is there a positive test I can do without pulling the transaxle from the car?

If it is leaking, is there some can of crap I can put in there of do I need to pull it and get it repaired/replced?

hurry up and install the engine before you think about cleaning it up or fixing it!!!! just kidding.

were you adding fluid or not to the transmission? that's the litmus test i'd use. if you never added fluid for the last 3 years and 50,000 miles then there's obviously nothing to worry about in the transmission.

i can't see yours, but it sounds common to me. seems most manual trans i'm pulling have that, there's a nice solid wall of dust coated gunk on the trans bellhousing. i wouldn't worry about it from the sounds of it.

hurry up and install the engine before you think about cleaning it up or fixing it!!!! just kidding.

were you adding fluid or not to the transmission? that's the litmus test i'd use. if you never added fluid for the last 3 years and 50,000 miles then there's obviously nothing to worry about in the transmission.

i can't see yours, but it sounds common to me. seems most manual trans i'm pulling have that, there's a nice solid wall of dust coated gunk on the trans bellhousing. i wouldn't worry about it from the sounds of it.

Actually at about 80K I changed the fluid as it hadn't ever been done. It is now at 117K. But I did notice that it appeared the release bearing carrier was packed with axle grease. Perhaps that could be what this is?