Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Forest runs funny after it rains

our 01 Forest runs funny when we get a heavy ran, but is fine the next time you got to drive it. You just have to be easy on the gas or it sort of misses.

It sounds you have a plug wire breaking down. You can fill a spray bottle with water and mist the wires at night and watch for sparks.

I dunno about that, its not while driving, its when its sitting in the rain.

rain water shouldn't be able to make it to the wires sitting still.

The high humidity is enough to cause the spark to jump on a marginal (high resistance) wire, particularly as you accelerate and voltage demand increases. Doesn't cost anything to try.

I agree about the humidity. The problem may be due to a faulty plug, plug wire, or plug connection. Make sure the connections to be plugs are snugged down around the plug all the way. If that is good and the plugs are fairly old then you could try replacing them with OEM NKG's. If that doesn't help then replacing the plug wires with factory replacements may help.

One thing comes to mind though, if the engine is misfiring then you should be getting a code error. The problem may be elsewhere. I have heard of faulty engine grounding causing a problem. If spraying down the ignition system with some water mist doesn't make it change then try doing it at the ground points of the engine to see if that does anything. Check the connection to the MAF sensor also.

Did plugs n wires 2-3 years back but will do em again, it definatly runs better once it gets warm.

Aw, you didn't try the mist trick? Too bad, you might have missed a neat light show. :)

Does your car also miss at highway speeds just as you gently start climbing a hill? Give it more gas and it goes away somewhat? That's usually a good sign of the plug wires, or coil acting up too.

I would hate to see you unnecessarily replacing parts before you've run some basic tests, like the mist thing. Go ahead and try the hill thing if you prefer. Seriously :)

Aw, you didn't try the mist trick? Too bad, you might have missed a neat light show. :)

Does your car also miss at highway speeds just as you gently start climbing a hill? Give it more gas and it goes away somewhat? That's usually a good sign of the plug wires, or coil acting up too.

I would hate to see you unnecessarily start replacing parts before you've run some basic tests, like the mist thing. Go ahead and try the hill thing if you prefer. Seriously :)

ooooooooooooooo

sparklies

:popcorn:

Update

I've done some more checking since you mentioned it was worse when the engine was cold. That is a common failure point for the coil. I would replace the coil for sure, but seriously consider giving it a good tune-up - plugs, wires, and filters - in case a bad plug or wire was overloading the coil causing early failure.

Ok I did the squirt bottle trick, popped hood, start car, turned off porch light, 3-4 squirts and it was twinkly as xmas and the engine started to stumble.

bad plug wires, kinda odd since they aren't really that old, I did pick up a new set already and some autolite platinum plugs but gonna return the old ones as they are on warranty and get my $30 back for the new ones.

On my Virago forum and personal experiance autolite plats work better than any plug you can buy, even fancy $12 each plugs.

Ok I did the squirt bottle trick, popped hood, start car, turned off porch light, 3-4 squirts and it was twinkly as xmas and the engine started to stumble.

bad plug wires, kinda odd since they aren't really that old, I did pick up a new set already and some autolite platinum plugs but gonna return the old ones as they are on warranty and get my $30 back for the new ones.

On my Virago forum and personal experiance autolite plats work better than any plug you can buy, even fancy $12 each plugs.

What brand wires? They REALLY need to be OE.

nipper

our 01 Forest runs funny when we get a heavy ran, but is fine the next time you got to drive it. You just have to be easy on the gas or it sort of misses.

Ok since no one else has said it yet.....

:grin:

is that funny HAHA or funny HEHE

:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buick350X

Ok since no one else has said it yet.....

:grin:

is that funny HAHA or funny HEHE

:clap:

Nope, it "misses" therefore it would be SheShe:banana:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buick350X

Nope, it "misses" therefore it would be SheShe:banana:

:eek:

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow that was worse then mine.

He saw the light! :clap:

I'm a fan of Autolite too and as long as platinum plugs are spec for your application, I don't see how they would be a problem. BUT, my experience is more general... these guys know Subarus better than me.

As far as wires go, I would get the OEs as most of the aftermarket stuff I'm seeing these days is crap (Autolite Plugs excepted).

Edit: Here's another thought. If after changing the plugs and wires and it still misses, you'll wonder if the aftermarket parts are the problem, or is it really the coil (very possible)? If you use quality parts to start with, it's easier to conclude they're still not the cause of the problem.

Unless it sold at autozone or partsamerica we don't buy it.

Local Sub dealer is a con artist putz.

Almost bought our Sub For there, had it for 2 day then found they had the car we just bought listed in Sunday the paper for $5000 less then we paid 2 days before hand.

returned it, and bought from a private owner who had to pay $1,800 more then we paid them to to sell it/get the title from the bank.

Went their for a PCV, Sub dealer Mech even went out to look at the car to double check.

Still sold us the wrong one and for 4 times what it cost at AZ.

We needed spare keys, local key shop said they couldn't get the blanks.

Go to dealer, they say we can only sell you blanks, we can't cut.

No one local will cut a blank unless you buy it from them.

If it was a part we could wait 5-6 days to order online id probably go OE but we will never goto the dealer for anything.

Unless it sold at autozone or partsamerica we don't buy it.

Local Sub dealer is a con artist putz.

Almost bought our Sub For there, had it for 2 day then found they had the car we just bought listed in Sunday the paper for $5000 less then we paid 2 days before hand.

returned it, and bought from a private owner who had to pay $1,800 more then we paid them to to sell it/get the title from the bank.

Went their for a PCV, Sub dealer Mech even went out to look at the car to double check.

Still sold us the wrong one and for 4 times what it cost at AZ.

We needed spare keys, local key shop said they couldn't get the blanks.

Go to dealer, they say we can only sell you blanks, we can't cut.

No one local will cut a blank unless you buy it from them.

If it was a part we could wait 5-6 days to order online id probably go OE but we will never goto the dealer for anything.

Funny, I feel the same way about Autozone (never been to PartsAmerica). As a mechanic for the past 35 years I've mostly bought aftermarket parts, but for some things like emission controls and sensors, I've always bought dealer parts.

That was then. Things have changed drastically in just the past year or so. We're being flooded with Chinese crap and I'm convinced much of it is counterfeit... even at the quality parts stores like NAPA.

When the Chinese stuff first hit over here several years ago it was crap, but it quickly improved to the point you couldn't tell the difference between it and USA made stuff. That has all changed recently and our shop has had to commit to buying much more from the dealers now, even though we have to wait for overnight delivery. The parts usually cost more from the dealer, though sometimes they're cheaper, but virtually every time they're better quality. That makes it cheaper in the long run, particularly if I don't get paid for fixing it twice.

PS If you ever hear a buzzing sound in your motor, you might want to get the OE pcv valve. Aftermarket ones are notorious for buzzing. Here are some online dealers...

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

http://www.subarupartswarehouse.com/?gclid=CLyWkOmXrpQCFQJvswodJhp6uQ

partsamerica is also advancedauto, same store, when ya look up parts you gotot partsamerica.com, order them and go pick them up at advancedauto.

Oh, I went in an Advanced Auto once. That would explain why all the help was too busy staring at computer screens to wait on me (store was empty otherwise). :)

They use to be like that a few years back but now unless they are helping someone they are suppose to gret everyone with a hello. Though that even depends on the manager and if they care.

but out of the 3 we have

autozone

advancedauto

murrys

advanced is the best to get in and out quick.

Also the most friendly.

At autozone you can stand there for 20 mins just waiting to check out as they won't come over to the reg until they are done helping everyone. Even if you just ran in for like a quart of oil.

At Murrys they do have one person who never leaves the register but they are so busy its still a 20min wait to just run in and grab something.

at advanced every person has their own register, so when the guy gets done helping you, he can check you out right there and your on your way.